EF Windows Sticking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2003, 23:18   #1 (permalink)

EF Windows Sticking

OK so my EF GLi wagon is suddenly suffering from manual windows which won't wind up without a huge fight.
Someone suggests to get some LY0070 Wipe On Slipcoat to treat the channels.
I wander down to the local Ford parts man & he releives me of $45 for a can containing a 125 ml bottle of this gooey silicone goop."The instructions are in the can!" he quips as I unsuspectingly waltz out the door thinking all my problems will soon be solved.

I open the can.....no instructions. Just a sheet telling me I'll get toxic shock or something if I mishandle it !

I ring the Ford parts man...."I dunno" he says...."I just sell stuff". Aren't they just precious...?

So before I go pissing my $45 investment into where it shouldn't can someone PLEEEEEZE tell me how & exactly where I'm supposed to apply this stuff???

Thanks guys
rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2003, 23:24   #2 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Re: EF Windows Sticking

Ok...buy Graphite Powder..available from all auto stores. Its not a liquid spray so it wont attract more dust and dirt. Spray it in the window channels and wind the windows up and down many times. Its very cheap $8 and should be enough for all the windows.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 06-25-2003, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

While you got the door apart, check that the window tracks etc are still tight and seem in alignment, I think on my friends EF the window went out of alignment and same thing a big fight to get it up and down.

But yes graphite powder will do for a quick fix, but the greasy stuff will stay around alot longer, they use greasy stuff in the factory, so cant be all bad :0)

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 23:56   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

otherwise you can get silicon lubricant spray ( which is prolly the spray form of what you've got ), and spray it into the channels.

With your "goop" , I'd put on gloves, and put a bit as far down the channels as you can ( with the windows down ), and then wind em up a down a bit . . . I'd also aim only for the vertical sections of channels, since they will not spread the goop onto areas you might touch while using the car / windows normally . .

I think you've prolly gone the expensive route, but no doubt it will fix it ( barring a mechanical fault as per dellboy's suggestion ). Let us know how it goes - maybe it is worth the $45 (but I doubt it!)
***edit***
Oh, as for the health warning - the spray silicon stuff also warns of this - apparently you can get silicosis ( which is nasty ), if you get too much into you )
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 00:00   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViGiLaNtE
Ok...buy Graphite Powder..available from all auto stores. Its not a liquid spray so it wont attract more dust and dirt.
I tried that when mine (EL) started to stick. Helped a little bit but not much. As for ot attracting dirt, I'm sure when it rains and gets wet he graphite power just turns into mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
While you got the door apart, check that the window tracks etc are still tight and seem in alignment, I think on my friends EF the window went out of alignment and same thing a big fight to get it up and down.
Yep, spot on. I told my mechanic about it when I was getting the car serviced and he said the rails were not aligned properly. He aligned them, greased them and they've been going great since. Started slowing down a bit recently so they might need to get done again soon.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
NC Sportsman I6

i got the same problem. i put graphite powder in my window channels but it didn't stay there long - and didn't do much. How do i know if the window is/isn't aligned properly?

$45 seems a bit rich surely there is a cheaper way...
Old 06-26-2003, 18:34   #7 (permalink)

OK....ran a thin bead of the LY0070 goop down the channel on both sides.
BINGO !

window goes up........window goes down

Hey it worked a treat ! (But then so it should !)

Thanks for all the help & suggestions folks
rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU