EL centre console - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 21:33   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

mad EL centre console

Well, I know 'in theory' how to remove the console but it isn't proving so easy. The 2 screws inside the lidded console space were removed, but it isn't wanting to come out from the front. :err:

Then I tried to remove the dash around it, starting with the stereo surround fascia. The screw on the left was accessed with the ashtray out, but while the fascia is clearly held in on the other side, no screw can be seen at all!! Is changing head units a dash-out job?

Any advice appreciated.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 00:23   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: EL centre console

nope the fascia is only screwed on the LHS and has a ball clip on the right

You just have to pull it out.. I can be tight but it will come.. I sort of get in behind it near the ciggie lighter then give it one good sharp pull.. Then undo the cig lighter plug and pop out the light-blub carrier and you are home

Dont forget to undo the screw(s) under the gear selector fascia.. So you obviously need to remove the T-Bar handle and that large nut to slide the fascia over the stick

Last edited by RaceCraft; 03-09-2004 at 00:49. Reason: added a piccie
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 00:50   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Ah cheers matey, I just didn't want to force it. Anywho, I'll give it a go. :s5

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 03-09-2004, 04:40   #4 (permalink)
stix

Whats going to be fun is removing the anti tamper screws on the factory head unit.

I got annoyed and just drilled em out.

Good thing was that the brackets off the factory H/U fit on my new H/U fine and it slides in real nice and tight, at the perfect angle too.

If you have a problem with the 12v constant battery wire like I did... well, read my thread "EL Stereo install gone wrong". The colours on that particular wire I was told on many occasions to be "dark green with yellow stripe" - mine was black with a pink stripe.

Anyhoo, good luck.

-Carlos.
Green P's, '97 EL Falcon GLi, just got my stereo in... Next come Pacemakers, 2.5" custom exhaust, V8 Intake scoop with K&N Hi-Flow filter, lowering, XR6 ECU, chip that too thanks, maybe even some mags, wide profile rear tyres, semi low pro all round... wait, no, damn rego payments come first... That and cleaning out the MANK that the previous owner left... Oh well. Dreams are free. Pity petrol isn't.
el macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28   #5 (permalink)
{';'}

How did you go Jack? I might need to remove the one in my ED soon so I hope that's not too hard

Sorry to take this off topic Jack, but I have some questions for tibbo about his interior painting - doesn't the window-winders lose paint being an item that gets handled so frequently? Can I ask what paints/preparation etc you used? You can PM if you like.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 00:37   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The EA-ED one is very easy, you can't go wrong. Just remember that you don't have to bother taking apart the console by removing the lid etc as I did - just remove the screws at the bottom inside the compartment, under that carpet stuff. :s5

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU