Ford Forums banner

El computer into EB?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
as per my website i have a manual pre-smartlock EB XR6, and im wondering if i can put a EL XR6 computer in it, im not expecting any power increase, but i want to do it for a few reasons:

1: second hand they are only like $250 i think

2: i want to fit the EF/L thermo fans and dont want the stupid sender in the top radiator hose, i want to take advantage of the output on the computer

3:if i get rich and fit the EF/L intake then it will wire up beautifully

4: better learning capability (for engine mods) of the computer ??? EEC-5 as opposed to EEC-4???? im not sure on this one...

now my questions -

1: does anybody know where i can get one?

2: will it work seeing as i dont have smartlock?

3: will it run my engine properly seeing as it is programmed to run the variable length intake - ie not too rich/lean at certain points in the rev range??

thanks in advance for any help offered ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well mate I believe it can be done at a rather pricey bill..
I had an ELGT ECU I wanted to fit to my modified EDXR8 ie GT running gear at the time .. The price sat me on my azz when I was quoted a price .... Far dearer than what the ECU originally cost me..
Try a wreckers for the ECU you are after & goodluck mate

#3 ·
I think the 6's are easier.No maf calibration etc.. Are the conector to the eec4 to 5 the same??

Looking at eec 4 V8 Diagrams they do have thermo fan capability but not wired from eec pins??

#5 ·
hmmm, i dunno, i thought they just screwed in... should check if they do, my parents have a EF fairmont, but they are a bit skitz about me playing with it...mum mainly cause she thinks i will break it :(

i could check if i could get around the smartlock, anybody know how? it would be sweet then cause i could just bolt up their computer and see if it runs

#7 ·
RAPTOR said:
Rollin, see the post in this thread by Grunt51 (Brendon Mock from Jim Mock Motorsports);
http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=18946
From the way I read it screw it in and it'll go, though the pre & post Smartlock may be considerably different. Maybe contact the Mocks for comments.
I'd like to know how they plugged it in. EEC IV has 60 pins which is in three rows. EEC V has 104 pins in four rows. The plugs are very different.

#8 ·
Your car is pre smart lock EL is smart lock this means you will need the BEM as well and that requires a full rewire not worth it as for the gains it will be minimal. just for the record both ECUS are 60 pin and interchangable one has two digit codes and the other has 3 EL also has a faster clock speed

#10 ·
Check -check pin 41 rings a bell .... but that maybe V8...
Try E-mailing & ask give exact #'s on eec...
eec-help@eelink.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.