EL Falcon Headlights Suck.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2003, 02:19   #1 (permalink)

mad EL Falcon Headlights Suck....

Hello all,

I have 96 EL Falcon, and to be frank, the headlights seem very average. This is compared to an AU Falcon and a VT Commodore (Parents Cars...). This evening the 30 dollar low beam globes I bought died on me. I bought these 100W, blue light emitting hunks of crap thinking that they would improve the situation, but they lasted not 1 week.

My question is what can be done to improve the headlight situation, what do people recommend? (people who have actually done something, that is...). I am really pissed off about the lights, having copped flashes of high beam for the last half hour trying to get home, and need some helpful advice.

Thanks In Advance,
Pete
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2003, 02:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL Falcon Headlights Suck....

i guess your glass has turned a yellow color try fixing this there is a how to do somewhere on here ive got an ea and ive just got 55 60 globes but the orsam 50% brighter one they have a different gas and are a real nice white
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:38   #3 (permalink)

AU headlights are actually abnormally bright, thats the problem
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:57   #4 (permalink)

i will vouch for that ef falcon got stuck with an au copper heading towards me on high beam very bright
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:49   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't really recommend using 100w at all. The lenses on the EF/EL are plastic (not glass) and subsequently will go that yellow colour (oftenly seen on alot of EF's)

As chrispie has mentioned, try the osram 50% brighter globes. They are same wattage, but are brighter aswell.

I do agree however that they suck, and the EA-ED highbeam was a shite load better. Reason for this is that there is the main part of the lamp for low beam, and another for high beam(the inner part). Most cars double up the low beam for highbeam aswell.

My old XF had heaps brighter highbeam....
Old 10-15-2003, 04:58   #6 (permalink)

You can run the higher wattage in the EF/EL XR series... from what I can tell, its all glass.
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 19:56   #7 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I've had the cheap "Optiblue" bulbs from supercheap in my car for probably 4 or 5 months now and I've not got any problems with yellowing covers (EL Fairmont). They are 90/100 or 90/110W (can't remember now). You probably got a bad batch. You can expect a year from these bulbs (not bad for the price I guess). My flatmate has got over 2 years from his and my original pair lasted a month. My current pair have been fine. Perhaps the Fairmont headlights are shaped differently enought to minimish "yellowisation"
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
Not a Twink

AFIAK the yellowing on the EF lenses are caused by the UV and not the brightness, they fixed the problem in the EL.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 20:11   #9 (permalink)

the EF Ghia i seen at auction the other day had faaaaaairly yellow headlights
but that was because it was swimming in a dam
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 00:48   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Gn|T|0n
I've had the cheap "Optiblue" bulbs from supercheap in my car for probably 4 or 5 months now and I've not got any problems with yellowing covers (EL Fairmont). They are 90/100 or 90/110W (can't remember now). You probably got a bad batch. You can expect a year from these bulbs (not bad for the price I guess). My flatmate has got over 2 years from his and my original pair lasted a month. My current pair have been fine. Perhaps the Fairmont headlights are shaped differently enought to minimish "yellowisation"
I think the fairmont's had a different light setup to the GLi/Futura's. Is yours glass? I'd like to put it brighter globes, but was afraid of the yellowing of the lenses, but if you haven't had any drama's i might try it.

Cheers
Matt
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU