EL Horn Pad / Cruise Control Buttons - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 04:57   #1 (permalink)
Hanging Around

EL Horn Pad / Cruise Control Buttons

Hi All..

I need to replace the cruise control buttons on a mates EL fairmont,
and just wondering if anyones done it before, and can describe whats involved in removing the horn pad / airbag to get to the buttons - I don't have a the EF/L workshop manual.

Is the horn pad held on by clips like the earlier models or is it screwed on?

Cheers
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 14:30   #2 (permalink)
Snerlo

Re: EL Horn Pad / Cruise Control Buttons

From memory mate, there are two plastic covers on the side of the steering wheel that covers two screws. Simply pop these out and losen the two screws. The airbag will then slip out towards the rear of the car. Once you have done this you will see the horn pads. They literally just sit there in little slots. Before you do this though are you sure that the buttons are stuffed. I just had a problem recently where my buttons weren't working in my AU2 XR8. I thought it was a little strange and then my airbag light would start to flash. It actually turned out to be the mechanism that allows the steering wheel to rotate while allowing the airbag and cruise buttons to maintain contact with the controls. Just check it out first mate. Good luck. It is pretty easy to pull the airbag out.
Leon.
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 14:44   #3 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: EL Horn Pad / Cruise Control Buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8snerlo
From memory mate, there are two plastic covers on the side of the steering wheel that covers two screws. Simply pop these out and losen the two screws. The airbag will then slip out towards the rear of the car. Once you have done this you will see the horn pads. They literally just sit there in little slots. Before you do this though are you sure that the buttons are stuffed. I just had a problem recently where my buttons weren't working in my AU2 XR8. I thought it was a little strange and then my airbag light would start to flash. It actually turned out to be the mechanism that allows the steering wheel to rotate while allowing the airbag and cruise buttons to maintain contact with the controls. Just check it out first mate. Good luck. It is pretty easy to pull the airbag out.
Leon.
Thanks for the reply v8snerlo....
Yeah, the buttons are stufed, they are currently sitting on the drivers side floor (completely broken off)

Will have a go at it this arvo...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU