EL XR6 COMPUTER MYSTERY - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2001, 18:28   #1 (permalink)
Australian EL Falcon XR6 Member

EL XR6 COMPUTER MYSTERY

I own an EL XR6 and want to find out whether the computer in this model (December 1997) has a 'learning' capability like the AU's.

If so, is it just a case of disconnecting the negative earth battery terminal overnight, replacing it, and driving it around 'hard' for the next 100k's to reset the thing to suit my driving style and what other benefits I might achieve.

I have a bit of a rough idle issue!!!!

Jason
Jason Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2001, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Hi jason, yes this ecu has learning capabilties you will only have to disconnect it for about 30 minutes thats how long the capacitors take to down load everything, mmmmm driving as hard as you can after reconnecting it im not quiet sure cause it wiil get reading from the hego senser
as far as the rough ilde that could be a number of things plugs,leads,injectors blocked,engine mounts, isc solenoid head gasket leakiing
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 08:55   #3 (permalink)
Paul

They only learn so much. If it's say modified outside it's window [cam ported head etc] it can't cope.With in a parimiter they learn-/manage..I was told to drive no more than 3/4 throttle so all advance etc was all done up to that? I guess.
As John said...
Old 11-25-2001, 16:32   #4 (permalink)
Australian EL Falcon XR6 Member

Thanks Guys....

I don't know what the hego sensor is but I read on here that the computer resets itself to the driving style registered in the first 100k's or so of driving. Does this 'hego' thing meann that it does not matter how I drive the car...it will only re-set itself to a set of distinct engine parameters??

Do you think disconnection is a good thing to do. Do you think it could possible help the rough idle issue because I've tried everything else!

JASON
Jason Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 18:59   #5 (permalink)
Paul

It won't do any harm.
Old 11-25-2001, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
Paul

H.e.g.o =heated oxygen sensor.Or Ho2s same..
Old 11-26-2001, 08:20   #7 (permalink)

Jason, I found after getting my exhaust and stage2cam, intake mods, that doing the disconnection trick did help get the most potential out of the ecu..

I was told by Jeff at herrods to drive it hard for around 200 k's..

the ecu needs different driving conditions to learn properly, I'd suggest doing it over a weekend, and try to drive the car around town, and on the highway for around 200k's.

roTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 15:30   #8 (permalink)
European Member

I found that my idle speed controller was sticking/binding. I removed from the top of the throttle body and sprayed it with Nulon carby/Throttle body cleaner and no more rough idle. And this car has only done 35k
sjwau2xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 15:03   #9 (permalink)
Paul

Hego sensers don't work on full throttle.Or w.o.t..The ecu doesn't read them..
Old 12-17-2001, 06:58   #10 (permalink)
Dom01

Thumbs up EEC MYstery Solved

Listen to Paul he seems to know what he is talking about, the EEC will only adjust itself to the engine not your driving style.
The main intention of this function was to adapt itself to and engines conditions such as wear and tear and continue to run it in a reliable manner, It will only make adjustments up to a point or window and that will be it.
If the engine has been modified, clearing the EEC memory may help it to adapt to the new changes but it will not always be the case.
I was quoted a time closer to 2 hours for clearing the memory but a workshop manual should clarify this.
Thrashing it for 200 KM'S will only waste fuel, the AU XR's have an adaptive shift auto that adjusts itself to your driving style and shifts hard when you push it but its a bit slow to react when you back off and this has ernt it some critisism but the AU engine management is no different to yours in its learning ability and does not adapt to driving style either.
Note: If you are experiencing problems due to a faulty sensor the problem will remain until the sensor has been replaced or problem rectified and the error code cleared, be it by star tester or clearing the memory by disconection.
I hope this has helped you and Good Luck!.
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU