electric antenna removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2003, 20:33   #1 (permalink)

electric antenna removal

G'day to all, I've just purchased a EA 1989 ghia for my wife and I'm one of these people who can not stand to have things not working correctly, the electric antenna mechanism is not working and I would like to remove it and find out what has broken and if possible fix it, I know from reading the messages on this board that some of you guys have had to do the same for yours but from the reading I can't workout what is involved in the simple task of removing the mechanism, so I would appreciate any comment on how to remove it and comments on how the antenna cable and power cable are connected, are they plugged or hard wired, does it require removing the radio etc, I'm asking these questions because I'm a quadriplegic and of course can not get in to my car to see how to do it, I'm hoping, [with fingers crossed] that it is a straight forward job, or is that really wish thinking.
Any comments re replacement units availability, price, brand name and suppliers would be appreciated as well as any URL's for other instructions and info.

numnuts
numnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I'm currently in the process of trying to remove mine. The important thing is to turn the front wheels so they are pointing to the left so you can access the panel in the rearmost part of the wheel well. There is this bastard of a clip which I can't get off... if/when I do I'll have to provide an update. :sad:

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50   #3 (permalink)

I have just this afternoon pulled out my old standard GLi antenna and put a new electric one in its place, the job isn't finished yet as I ran out of light but I will give you a run down on what I had to do.

There are 3 plugs that can be pulled out with some force, they need to be removed. 2 are above the wheel, the third is right at the front of the car near the front bumper. I needed a torch to fine that one as it isn't very obvious. There is also 3 rubber plugs to remove. The hard bit is the 2 metal hooks that hold the plastic in at the rea of the tyre well. I found I had to remove the front passenger wheel as with it in place I didn't have enought room to move. You need to get a strong screw driver and bend them until they are straight. The plastic will then come out with a little effort. I found that it isn't only the plastic at the back of the wheel that has to come out as the plastic goes from the front bumper to the back of the tyre well, it all has to come out. Any more questions?

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 05:50   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

PICTURES PEOPLE PICTURES!!! We need plenty of tutorials on EVERYTHING to fill up the new tech pages section on eafalcon.com Series 3 so document everything!

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:09   #5 (permalink)

don't have a camera. Can supply words, thats about it.

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:27   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Re: electric antenna removal

Quote:
Originally posted by numnuts
G'day to all, I've just purchased a EA 1989 ghia for my wife and I'm one of these people who can not stand to have things not working correctly, the electric antenna mechanism is not working and I would like to remove it and find out what has broken and if possible fix it, I know from reading the messages on this board that some of you guys have had to do the same for yours but from the reading I can't workout what is involved in the simple task of removing the mechanism, so I would appreciate any comment on how to remove it and comments on how the antenna cable and power cable are connected, are they plugged or hard wired, does it require removing the radio etc, I'm asking these questions because I'm a quadriplegic and of course can not get in to my car to see how to do it, I'm hoping, [with fingers crossed] that it is a straight forward job, or is that really wish thinking.
Any comments re replacement units availability, price, brand name and suppliers would be appreciated as well as any URL's for other instructions and info.

numnuts
Does it still make the wirrrr wirrr noise, but antenna not go up/down?

Mine did that because someone had bent the antenna and broke the thing inside it.

If thats all thats wronge, all you need to do is buy a replacement for about$30, undo the thing at the base of the antenna(ontop on the panel near the bonet) and pull it ot. TAKE note of which way the 'thread' on the white stuff in the middle if the antenna faces, and be sure to pull all that stuff out(if you dont you will have to pull the whole setup out through under the wheel arch)
Then jam the new one in.
I dont think u have to pull the whole thing out. I did anyway because i didnt know what was wrong with it.

Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 14:28   #7 (permalink)
jjj

I replaced my aerial on my ea spak on saturday,took me about 2hours of stuffing around. Makesure you take the left tyre off as you need room to take the plastic cowling off. Also you don't have to remove the radio head unit as the connection from aerial to radio is in the left front passengers kick panel. Cost $22 from brisbane carsound.

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 18:59   #8 (permalink)

thanks

Ok A BIG thanks to all you guys for going to the trouble of giving so much detail, the unit is working electronically in so far that I can hear the antenna motor running when the ignition is switched to ass’ and again when the ignition is switched off following short delay if I remember correctly, I think “EFJase” is describing my situation and hope it is just the top section that will need replacing, any one who has done this type of repair to the antenna assembly I would appreciate your comments on how you did it, photos like “The Goodz” said would be much appreciated.
I was hoping that the job of removing the complete antenna unit would be easy but from what I’ve read to day it’s a “pay someone” to do it job, but as I said if “EFJase” right I’ll wait for further feedback on that “job” before I decide whom to approach to do the job, anyway thanks guys for your trouble in responding, have a
G’day.
numnuts
numnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 19:40   #9 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Gday
Long post ahead.

Heres the full story of what i done, though im sure there is a quiker way to do it.

First I removed the plastic stuff from under the wheel arch. To do this you will need to straighten some little metal bits, which are folded over to keep the plastic in place. I just used a pair of plyers to do it.

You will then be able to see the electric motor for the antenna. There is 2(i think) srews that need to be taken out.

You can then undo the wires(which supply the power) conected to the motor, not a must but allows better movement of motor. I DIDNT take the wire which sends the signal to the radio, as it looks like a bitch of a thing to do.

Then look at where the antenna mast protrudes from the top of the panel(into the air), remove the black rubber stopper.

Under the stopper there is a bolt type thing around the mast whish need to be undone from under the wheel arch.

You can now esasily move the motor around, & take it out from under the wheel arch.

You then pull out the old antenna mast, this can be stuck quite strongley. I dont think you have to undo/loosen anything to do this.

Take note which way the thread on the white "chain" in the middle of the mast faces, with repect to the motor.

If you think that all the white 'chain' stuff has been removed, and it is not likely there is any inside the motor, you can slide the new mast and 'chain' in to the motor.

BUT there is usually some of the chain inside the motor. So you will have to undo trhe retaining screws around the motor, and open it up.

Make sure u take note of where everything comes from(unlike me)

Inside the motor will be a series of cogs, and some other little bits. Romove the big cog, and what ever else is nesecary to do so. Under that will be the 'chain' which had broken off. Remove that, and put the motor back together.

Conect the power chords back to the electric motor, turn the ingnition far ebnough so the motor activates.

Push the button, which varies the antenna hight, to the 'high' setting.

Then thread the new 'chain' into the motor. Turn ignition off, or change the antenna hight switch to the low setting.
Hopefully the chain will grap the thread. If not keep trying till it does.

Once the chain has been grabed buy the cogs in the motor, you can force the rest in. Then place the mast into the top of the motor.
Turn ignition on and off a few time to make sure it works.

If it works replace all the bolts and screws. Put thre plastic back under the wheel arch, etc.

You can remove the front left wheel if you want, as it will give better acess.

There is a alternate way to installing the new mast, which involves threading the chain into the motor whoile it(the electric motor) is pulled apart. This can be very fustrating as the new 'chain' isnt bent into the right shape.

Hope thats right, im working from memory.

Jase
Old 06-11-2003, 19:49   #10 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I should add its not as hard as it sounds.

If you poke around yourself, you will work it out easily.

Jase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU