Electric Arial Advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2002, 01:05   #1 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

Electric Arial Advice

Hey guys,

Im going to install an electric arial into my '94 EF Gli. Are the genuine Ford ones very reliable?? Otherwise, what s a good (But not too expensive) brand.

If everyone could tell me their experiences with elec. arials then i'll be greatful.

Take it easy.

Chris

Old 08-08-2002, 01:13   #2 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Hiya Chris,

I too am keen on this mod, and I've rung around to see what is available. I am sure that Aerpro make an electric antenna for our models, although my biggest concern is removing panels to mount the bastard (Grrrr!). I am also wondering about the button (that I'm gussing would have to be sourced from Ford Spare parts) for the half way / full length Antenna control that sits in between the trip computer and climate control on Fairmonts. If the front passenger guard forward of the door can be removed eaily enough, I reckon the rest would be a piece of umm errr pie ;-)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-08-2002, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I have an EA Ghia and can confirm that the Ford system is very reliable. The only problems mine has had is to do with the aerial snapping :'(

The ideal set-up, in my opinion, is a fixed glass aerial similar to that on the BA. If I can ever be stuffed, I might convert my car. See thread:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=20857

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:23   #4 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

DC,

In my case, my head unit (aftermarket), has a trigger for the arial, so i dont need the controller. The main reason i want a "lecci" arial is because im sick of punk's breaking it. This way its only up when i listen to the radio, and down when the units off, or when i have a CD on.

To get to it, turn your steering wheel all the way to the right, and attack it from the bottom.

Im gonna give a wrecker a buzz, see about an EF/EL fairmont arial, hopefully cheapish!

Where abouts are you DC, coz if you live SE melbourne, we might find a wrecker for both by accident !!

Take it easy,

Chris
Old 08-08-2002, 01:26   #5 (permalink)

My understanding of the electric antenna is that when the radio is on, the antenna is up (position pending user preference via dash button) - however I guess this depends whether the aerial is hooked up to accessories or the 'Power Antenna' wire found on most AM headunits nowadays. I thought that the whole idea of the electric antenna was to have it work when the radio is on and every other time it is down to avoid dic|<heads coming along and snapping them off ?? If there's something I'm missing here, please enlighten me, as I'm keen to do something with mine !

Cheers,
Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Travis
I have an EA Ghia and can confirm that the Ford system is very reliable. The only problems mine has had is to do with the aerial snapping :'(

The ideal set-up, in my opinion, is a fixed glass aerial similar to that on the BA. If I can ever be stuffed, I might convert my car. See thread:

Old 08-08-2002, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

i got a new electric arial installed in my 96 EF Furura the other day, because when i got the car it didn't have one (got broken off). I got mine connected to my head unit so whenever the CD player is on radio the arial goes up and as soon as you change to CD or turn it off the arial automatically goes down. Cost about $200 all up.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:30   #7 (permalink)

Hi Chris,

Words right outta my mouth mate !! Yeah, let me know if you source one from a wrecker anywhere, otherwise if you're keen on the Aerpro I saw one at JB in the city - it was around $115 though from memory.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-08-2002, 02:07   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Travis

some little f*%ker broke mine in a supemarket car park...i will kill the prick if i got my hand on him...sorry just had to say that

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:01   #9 (permalink)

I got a Aerpro electric erial brand new for $40 off sold.com.au.fitted it myself took about half an hour all up to install.
When i turn the ignition off erial goes down.when i start car erial goes up,or when radio is turned off erial goes down simple as that.Piece of piss to install.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:10   #10 (permalink)

Wow ! Good value sboland !! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the auctions a bit more =] Yeah, what about the button to make the aerial go half way and then pressed again to go up the whole way ? I figure get it from Ford - but I wonder how it would work with an Aerpro elec antenna - hmmm, I guess it wouldn't be that hard - probably the same to the Ford factory unit perhaps ? Anyway, will have to keep an eye out.

Cheers,
Steve
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU