Electric Ariel (Probelems) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2003, 16:25   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Electric Ariel (Probelems)

Ok i have a 99 Au Classic and the electric arial is playing up goes up fine and down but on the last section it doesnt fully retract. I have to give it a little push as it comes down for it to fully retract. Hit it with heaps of CRC got heaps of shit out of it. Was working for a few turns and now does the same thing. There not bloody cheap to buy and its only just over 3 years old im not to happy about it any one have any ideas.

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2003, 16:47   #2 (permalink)

Mmmm, you tried spraying some WD40 on it
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 18:48   #3 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Im not sure about this but if youre putting crc or wd40 on it youre actually removing any lubricant from the telescopic sections of the arial thus makingf it harder for it to retract then just leaving the gritty crap behind. I suggest maybe some vaseline perhaps? whack some on and swich radio off/ on a couple of times the wipe of excess. Im not completely sure but maybe give it a try?

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 22:13   #4 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I was also thinking some of the stuff you removed was the waterproofing. Can you still hear the winder motor continue running after the aerial stops?

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

mine does the same thing :err:

and yes i can still hear it trying to retract after it has stopped not completely down...

let me know how you go
Old 03-27-2003, 02:02   #6 (permalink)

lubricate with graphite powder
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 02:36   #7 (permalink)

The mast alone can be replaced, you won't have to replace the whole lot.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:04   #8 (permalink)

Mine used to do this. What I found was that the aerial was slightly bent backwards making some of the sections a bit stiff when sliding into each other. I just bent them back straight so they slide freely and now it's all good.

Maybe you could use a straight edge (ruler) to check that each section of the mast is straight?
image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:06   #9 (permalink)
Damage Fixxer

I would suggest getting all the grease, vaseline, crc/wd40 off with a rag, and getting some cutting polish and polishing the bugs guts and crap off the aerial until it shines. Also check that eac piece of the mast moves freely insede the other. I have had this trouble before with my EB and this fixed it. (Too bad it got snapped off later that day by low hanging branches :( . )
Old 03-27-2003, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Thanks for all the replys

I have cleaned it up and its working fine at the moment. i did the polish trick worked really well. xw dont you hate when you spend some time on things only to wreck it an hour later. Reminds me when i was washing my car and cleaned the bonnet protector placed it on the floor then stood straight on it, that really pissed me off.

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU