Ford Forums banner

electric thermatic fan on pre EF

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  BOF 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a electric fan to replace the crappy noisy KW robbing engine driven fan that is in all falcons before EF's

i've got an eb2 and i'm sick of the thing cutting in all the time on a hot day i reccon it must chop away at least 40kw

been seeking advice on turfin the thing and putting in a couple elecrtic ones but everyone seams to be trying to talk me out of it.

Any input to this matter would be cool!

#2 ·
I got rid of the belt driven fan and installed two electric fans as soon as I bought my ED XR8. You will be amazed at the difference. I was also told not to due to the possible failure of electric fans, but I have been running mine for over two years without problems. I also think, that if they weren't reliable, then Ford and all other car makers wouldn't be putting them on all new cars. Go for it.

#3 ·
Hi there StickyChicken,

I too have been runing electric thermo's for about 4 years on my EDXR8 with wild combo and have no problems at all.
I also have developed a wiring harness for under 100 bucks that I now sell which compliments the thermofans in all control aspects.
If you want I can e-mail you the details if you want.
It uses relay logic and failsafe mode. also incorporates aircon control and on signal from the cars e.c.u.
It was the use of davey craige controllers and thermoswitches that led me to my own development of the harness.
Any way, I think I have said enough.
N.B have fitted about 7 kits to XR's

Barry

#4 ·
that sounds good....is it much work pulling out the old fan... that's something that stopped me from doing it myself looked complicated.

i got a street machine mag that has a how to on it but they did it on a commodore and that looked very different

but that sounds very smart though hooking it into the ECU

i'm an elecrtician actually so that part i understand but not big on working on cars at all

so yeah if you got some info handy that would be helpful

#5 ·
Its no problem at all. Only takes me about 10 minutes to strip the fan, clutch hub and shroud. You only need the correct size open end spanner and the fan hub holding tool (which you could make yourself.
There are plans in the factory manuals on how to make one.
Send me your e-mail address and I will return some info.

Barry
bambi@norcom.net.au

#6 ·
You dont need a hub securing tool, a $5 long screwdriver from Supercheap Auto works just as well. hehe :s6:

Oh, EDxr8EBgt, check your mail buddy:s2:

#7 ·
The first thing I do to a pre-EF ford is fit thermos. I put an EF radiator and fan on the DC. Screwed a switch in the thermostat housing. Very nice and factory looking.

Motor runs a little hotter, but I've also upped the comp... I have always noticed (could be psycological) better throttle response. Even on my old 302 XB!!

#8 ·
What do you mean "cutting in all the time"? Is the fan clutch stuffed?

My EBII V8 didnt have a thermo, just a normal pulley driven fan and it worked fine. It never overheated, even on the hottest of days, it always kept its cool.

Not likr my LS1, damn that thing gets hot. You have no idea how much heat these things produce (both under the bonnet and at the wheels hehe)

#9 ·
Thermo's have the advantage of less drag on the engine and have the ability to be controlled.
Otherwise car manufacturers would not have fitted them to newer model cars.
By the time you got a new fan hub you could have paid for a set of thermo's
Controling them is important, if they are not controlled properly they will play up, thats why I designed a system such as mine.

#10 ·
I forgot to add that the engine should not run any hotter on thermo's. If it does there is a problem elsewhere.
We fitted a set to my brothers stroked ED with 10.5 comp and his runs cooler than it did with the clutch fan. And that was in the North West, hot as hell.

#12 ·
I've been interested in doing this for a while, just never got round to it.
Hey EDxr8EBgt can you send me some info please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.