Ford Forums banner

Electric thermos again

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  XR9UTE 
#1 ·
What happened to all those people who were putting ef/el electric thermos on instead of the clutch fans?

I just want to know how they are originally controlled on ef/el's and how to adapt them to my ED Ghia 8.

Pics, tips please?

#6 ·
I have spoken to EDxr8EBgt and he is going to fit some El fans to my EB XR8 as soon as he fines some good ones from a wrecker.

G
#7 ·
Another possibility is the use of an EEC-Tuner to enable the original thermofan driver within the EEC.
I have done this on my XE ute using a U.S.(A3M1) EECIV but the hardware is the same as the aussie EEC's so it should be a doable prospect.
It just enables Pin 41 which is a low side drive to the relay/s for your fans. That way you have no extra sensors etc and you just change the fan turn on temp and hysteresis with a laptop.

Actually I'll plug in an Aussie EEC and try it out.

Pete.

#8 ·
You can just use an after market ajustable thermostatic switch like that used with the Craig Davis and similar aftermarket fans; the switch can be purchased seperately from places like Repco. You can, and it is wise to also add a relay so they switch on when the air con compressors is on.

#9 ·
Hi there Waks and all.

Just thought I would let everyone know that I am still doing thermofan kits to suit EA up to ED, 6cyl or V8.
I now have full instructions and parts listing for the mod.
I can email anyone some information if they are interested in the kit or parts thereof.
It can be cheaper if you can get a set of thermofans for $250.00 bucks or cheaper then use the rest of the kit to control them properly.

Regards, Barry.
bambi@norcom.net.au

#11 ·
Hi Waks,

I fitted a set of EL twin thermos to my ed XR6 3 years ago, it was the best thing i have ever done.

The EL are a better set as apposed to the EF, due to better motors.

The fans cost $250 from ford, it cost me about $150 to get them fitted, which included a Davies Craig adjustable theromstat, wiring, relays, etc.

It still makes a bit of noise, but nowhere near the racket the the old fan made. The shroud bolts straight up to the old shroud mounting points.

There was also a noticable power difference.

make sure the idle is adjusted to suit.

Hope this helps.

#13 ·
Hey Pete will it be a piece of cake on a x3z ecu????

#15 ·
The temp sensors I use are around the $30.00 mark and come in a couple of temp ranges. They are fail safe as well meaning that if a senso or the wiring were to fail then the fans would come on thus indicating a problem. I had experimented with the davies C ones bothe the capilary and the $110.00 electronic version and they were shit.

#16 ·
Can I just ask why you think the Davies Craig ones are shit. As I have said, I have run one for over 2 years now without a problem. I also like the idea that it is adjustable, so in summer you can have them coming on a bit earlier etc. I know yours is fail safe which is a great idea.

#18 ·
xurt6e said:

The EL are a better set as apposed to the EF, due to better motors.

The fans cost $250 from ford, it cost me about $150 to get them fitted, which included a Davies Craig adjustable theromstat, wiring, relays, etc.
Is that only $250 for brand new EL fans? I was expecting it to cost about that from a wrecker?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.