Electric Water Pump by Davies Craig - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 15:50   #1 (permalink)
PAST EA TYCOON

Electric Water Pump by Davies Craig

Hey guys
Just wondering if anyone have one of the EWP (Electric Water Pump) by Davies Craig?

I saw an article in a mag, but id like to hear any feedback from anyone who has one?

Thanks
EvilEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2003, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I wouldn't touch them again! I got one when they first came out, and after about 6 months, the pump failed and cooked the engine. The replacement pump lasted around 4 months. In both cases, the problem was caused by a faulty seal in the pump. After that, a stock pump went back on.

I was also a bit worried when Davies Craig threatened to take autospeed to court after they did a write up on these pumps. The article was never published, so we don't know what they found.

Saying that, when the pump was installed, I did feel a bit of improvement in how quickly the engine reved, but when put on the dyno, there was only 2rwkw in it.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
F*#K the government

I sent a bitchy letter to Davies Craig asking why they threatened court action on Autospeed, if I can find it I will post it on here.

They replied saying that autospeed had tested the pump under all the worst conditions.

After hearing their reply I gave them the benifit of doubt, but after EDXR8 problems I dont think I will go near them, maybe we should hint to Davies Craig about this post.

Maybe then EDXR8 they may come to your side with assistance in the wrongs they have done.

Some people have made their own electric pumps by leaving the standard pump on and running its own motor, see it quite often at the drags, also can buy kits like that.

My interest in the Davies pump was so I could modify a Windsor timing cover to be able to adjust cam timing without removing whole cover.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Davies Craig were very good about the whole thing. They sent me out a replacement without even seeing the old broken one. I still have the both of them sitting on the shelf. After the second one, I just could not be bothered with the whole thing, so I just put the stock one back on.

IMO for the few extra kw, possibly at the expense of reliability, it is not worth it.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
351 windsor for the xr

i'm runing a moroso electric pump and am very happy with it abit expensive i got an extra 12rwkw from this i have it on a 351 clevo and no probs.
TUFESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:56   #6 (permalink)
F*#K the government

Quote:
Originally posted by TUFESP
i'm runing a moroso electric pump and am very happy with it abit expensive i got an extra 12rwkw from this i have it on a 351 clevo and no probs.
Cool, we all want to hear that from a mod.:s2:
Old 02-03-2003, 12:09   #7 (permalink)

TUFESP,
I was interested in running an electric water pump to recirculate the water after shut-down to cool the motor a bit and prevent heat soak. Does this moroso one do this?

ta

Quote:
maybe we should hint to Davies Craig about this post.
P.S. I have just sent an email to Davies Craig about this thread and would they care to reply. I think it only fair people know they are being mentioned and have the right of reply.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:44   #8 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

I've been hearing some good things about the Meziere electric pumps from the Mustang guys recently. They bolt up in the stock location and you can also get versions with a freewheeling idler pulling attached so as to keep the stock belt.

http://www.meziere.com/
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 13:47   #9 (permalink)

EDXR8 did you use their controller with the pump or just a thermostat or switch?
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 15:37   #10 (permalink)

DAVIES, CRAIG HAS SOLD OVER 7,000 EWPs AROUND THE WORLD SINCE ITS RELEASE TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO. WARRANTIES, WHICH WE INVARIABLY HONOUR AND ARE FOR 2 YEARS, ARE RUNNING AT 1.7%

USUALLY IF AN EWP FAILS TWICE IN THE SAME APPLICATION IT IS DUE TO SOME PECULIARITY OF THE SET UP.

HERE IS A TECHNICAL BULLETIN THAT WE PUT OUT RE THE SHAFT SEAL AND THERMOSTAT.

DAVIES CRAIG TECHNICAL BULLETIN -- THERMOSTAT

HAVE YOU REMOVED YOUR THERMOSTAT? IF NOT, PRESSURE CAN BUILD UP IN THE EWP HOUSING IF IT IS WORKING AGAINST A FULLY CLOSED THERMOSTAT AND FORCE COOLANT PAST THE SHAFT SEAL. ONCE A PASSAGE IS ESTABLISHED IT MAY NOT RESEAL WHEN THE PRESSURE DROPS.

ALSO

TRY TO RUN THE EWP AFTER A HOT ENGINE SHUT DOWN OR THE HEAT FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WILL GO TO THE BLOCK, HEAT THE COOLANT AND ITS TEMP AND PRESSURE WILL INCREASE, AGAIN FORCING COOLANT PAST THE SHAFT SEAL.

WE ARE ALSO FINDING THAT IF THE EWP IS BOLTED RIGIDLY TO A CHASSIS RAIL OR SIMILAR, WHEN IT HEATS UP IT TENDS TO EXPAND AND BOW, AND THE SEAL MAY BE DAMAGED. SO IT IS BEST TO MOUNT THE EWP IN THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE, AND TO LET THE HOSE TAKE ITS WEIGHT.

ON POWER IMPROVEMENTS,

WE FIND BEFORE AND AFTER DYNO TESTS ARE FICKLE AND THAT THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES, INCLUDING ENGINE TEMP. WE USED A 240V CALIBRATED TORQUE METER TO RUN THE MECHANICAL PUMP AT THE SPEEDS THE ENGINE RUNS THE PUMP, AND FOUND ON A GM 5L V8 THE PUMP WAS TAKING 1OkW TO RUN AT 5,500 RPM. SO 10kW LESS THE EWP POWER USED BY THE EWP (6 AMPS) IS THE POWER GAINED = ABOUT 9.5kW! IT WOULD BE VERY SIMILAR ON A FORD V8

BEST REGARDS

RICHARD DAVIES
MANAGING DIRECTOR

DAVIES, CRAIG PTY. LTD.

TEL +61 (0)3 9646 3051 FAX +61 (0)3 9646 2632
MOBILE 0408 31 56 97
BOX 176, 30 BEACONSFIELD PARADE
PORT MELBOURNE, VICTORIA 3207, AUSTRALIA
email rddavies@daviescraig.com.au
web site www.daviescraig.com.au

DAVIES, CRAIG HAS BEEN AWARDED A US PATENT NO 6,425,353 FOR ITS AWARD WINNING ELECTRIC WATER PUMP (EWP)

SEE THE PATENT AT THE US PATENT WEB ADDRESS
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...+AND+AN/DAVIES
DAVIESCRAIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU