Electric windows - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2001, 20:11   #1 (permalink)

Electric windows

Has anyone had any experiance installing electric windows into an XD/XF? I own an XD and I am in the middle of installing electric windows from an XF. I have brought the wiring loom and this is where my problem is. The main connector (labeled dash connector in service manual) has got 3 wires. The XD service manual says that the XD version only had 2 wires (+ve and -ve) My question is, what is this third wire and is there a connector waiting for me somewhere in the dash or do I have to route some power to it myself? Thanks in advance.
XDSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2001, 02:28   #2 (permalink)
Chromed Member

zzzzzzzzap

wiring.

I have put elec windows in lots of cars and have a lot less hair because of it. The electric window mechanism / regulators /motors in XD/E/F doors are all the same. LOOMS ARE DIFFERENT If your XD is stock falcon, it probably doesnt have the power plug, which by memory is located under the ashtray somewhere, or drivers kick panel. If is a fairmont it should be there.

To power up the windows, you only need accesory power (preferably through a relay)and a good earth to the loom you bought. The extra wire, im not too sure about, perhaps its for the extra ciggy lighter in the console??

Have you tried getting a loom out of XD ghia instead. Are you running the XF switches in the drivers door, or the XD / XE ones in the console. On the late model XF's there is 3 or 4 relays mounted in the front pass door, this stops the switches burning out.

:o :o :o :o :o :o
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 05:58   #3 (permalink)

Electric windows

Yeah, it's a stocky GL, the swiches are all out of an XF Fairlane (In doors) The door liners and seats are all XF LTD (ZL or something) there is two sets of relay blocks on either side of the loom, I was wondering what they where for! Each has block has two blue ford relays in them. I didn't actualy get the loom from under the dash, just the loom from where it leaves the dash and enters the doors, If I posted a pic of the wiring scematic would that help? The colours are black (-ve) yellow (+ve) and a grey with yeallow trace (Mystery wire) The actural ciggy lighter has a different connector!
Old 09-03-2001, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
Chromed Member

confused

botch racks his brains thinking what grey/yellow wire is for....

just remembered......the relays are for central locking-NOT WINDOWS. There should be a separate relay (one only) to switch power from accesories.:(

You will need to run the XF looms to all 4 doors then. Are you putting in central lock too?
Old 09-03-2001, 06:30   #5 (permalink)

locking

Already have an after market central locking in it, maybe later goto the stock ford version since the one I have now is pretty sucky!! Is the relay you are talking about for the windows in the relay block next to the fuses (With the A/C relay)? Thanks heaps for the help!
Old 09-03-2001, 06:44   #6 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Lightbulb yep

relay is normally mounted on lhs of coloum under pastic cover. You can simply wire up a normal bosch relay to do the same job. I can draw you pic if you like.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:49   #7 (permalink)

artwork

Thanks heaps for that, I think that there is already a space for the relay but not sure if it is wired up, have to suss it out! IBTW. love the artwork!! Ohh yeah, are you in Melbourne? if so where would you recomend I go to get a drivers master control switch? I'm finding it pretty had to come by one?!!
Old 09-03-2001, 07:00   #8 (permalink)
Chromed Member

sorry not in Melb. Live Albury/Wodonga. Formerly master artist . Are you after new or second hand control switch. The local wrecker here has heaps try them on :

MJR AUTOMOTIVE FORD WRECKERS:

02 60 212 060

They freight stuff all over oz.
otherwise try www.yellowpages.com.au and search for ford wreckers
Old 09-03-2001, 07:14   #9 (permalink)

work of art!!!

Picasso, eat your heart out I'm after a second hand one, I've found one at $75. Sound expensive, dunno what a good price is though! Thanks again for the help! I'll be sure to come back to you for help later in the project!
Old 09-03-2001, 17:37   #10 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

XD Sedan, I have been asked to post this, I hope it helps.

Quote:
The third wire is for the power mirrors, I think . If I'm right the third wire should be thinner and there will be a connector with the same thin wire and a black thin one as well just "inside" the door
Don't know what that all means myself but thank O'Man from the UteMan site if it helps.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU