Ford Forums banner

Electronic Ignition for the Clevo ?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  drof 
#1 ·
Im thinking of putting on Electronic Ignition onto the XC's 302 Clevo

Basicly to rid it of the Pinging it has... for one...

Re-Curving the Dizzy is always an option...
But i think i want to get away from the Points Dizzy

So im thinking i might just throw in a full Electric Ignition System

If anyone knows what types(Brands) are good and suit a 302 Clevo

Let me know whats good... So i might pull my finger out an fix it up

You opinions are welcome...

So throw em at me...

#2 ·
If you're having trouble with pinging, retard the timing until the pinging stops. Either that, or shell out the money for higher octane gas.

#4 ·
Get a dissy from a 5.8 they had electronic dist on them.Latter model 302's possibly did too...

#6 · (Edited)
Im running it on Opitmax now... The 98 Oct stuff...

Or i find the BP Ultimate good too... which is also 98 Oct

And the bugger still Pings...

Not as bad as when i put LRP in it... :S

It was suggested i just get the current dizzy "Re-Curved"

But i wouldnt mind looking into the idea if the Electronic

#9 · (Edited)
Magic Elixir is my stupid way of saying a de-coke additive. Try some Caltex Techron 5000, bung a whole can in the petrol tank (near empty) and fill up. This should clean out any carbon that may be causing the ping.

This is from their website:
Techron 5000 is a unique fuel system cleaning and decoking agent based on powerful synthetic cleaning additives.

Techron 5000 provides a burst of cleaning power that is unbeatable at cleaning the entire fuel system restoring power and performance in petrol and light duty direct injection diesel engines.
Sounds bloody marvelous.

Let us know how you get on.

cheers

#13 ·
Hi, 92bigbronco suggested retarding the timing, have you done that yet, or checked the timing? Thats very important and will definatly stop the pinging, but at the cost of losing some power.
Topghia had another good suggestion, but use a cleaner that is applied directly into the intake manifold vacuum hose, follow directions on can. If you use it right it will make the car smoke for about 15 minutes when restarted after cleaning.
You already claim to be putting in a high octane petrol.
Here's a few other things to check, cooling system must be in good shape, not running hot. oil level, stuck heatriser if equipped, stuck thermostatic aircleaner.
Does it have a egr valve? i dont think so?
Is it running lean? Hows the fuel filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.