Electronic Odometer Question EF-EL-AU - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2002, 00:46   #1 (permalink)

Question Electronic Odometer Question EF-EL-AU

OK, this is a stupid question, but I have had arguements over this one, and would love it to be resovled.

Does anyone know what happens when the EF/EL/AU Odometer rolls over from 999,999Km ?????

The reason I ask this is because I have been told that the Instrument cluster will no longer function !!!
This in turn will send the car in to Limp home mode, (Because the ECU sees no instrument cluster).

I know that the ECU will go in to limp mode if the Instrument cluster is removed, (Yes it has happened to me when I was doing the blue dash thing).

I always assumed that the Odo would roll over to 000,000, but have been told that this is not the case, purely for the reason that it stops functioning prevent people from driving a million kilometers to reset the Odo reading.:crazy1:

So if this is the case, does this mean that you will never see a falcon last longer than 1,000,000Km ????? (I mean I have seen an EF taxi with 850,000 on the clock), or this this person telling me this full of ####

Any one have any opinions, or hard evidence to back up either claim, as I would really love to shut this person up !!!!

Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2002, 03:43   #2 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

I think this person is full of shit, because i have seen cabs with 1 - 1.5 million clicks on the clock with no problems at all. Im pretty sure that there are more than a few falcons that have done over a million clicks.

You could always ask.... how many holdens have come close to a million clicks?

As for definitive evidence, i have none... im pretty sure that ford thought of this potential problem. I dont think ford would have simply disabled the car once it runs a million clicks, what just to stop kilometer tampering? If you want to tamper there are easier ways to do it anyways.

Cheers

Will
Old 02-20-2002, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

it starts back a zero doesn't it? Well i'm pretty sure it does. Anyways who cares about the tampering. If the odo say 10,000 and the car has done over 1,000,000 and you cant tell then you should go buy a push bike!!!
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Matt, how smart is this guy??? You could play a gag on him and say that it's better than old commodores with the cable driven spedo. Then tell him at 1,000,000kms i the spedo used to lock up jamming the cable which in turn locked the drivetrain making the car useless. Thats why you never see them anywhere near 1,000,000kms.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:44   #5 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8
Matt, how smart is this guy??? You could play a gag on him and say that it's better than old commodores with the cable driven spedo. Then tell him at 1,000,000kms i the spedo used to lock up jamming the cable which in turn locked the drivetrain making the car useless. Thats why you never see them anywhere near 1,000,000kms.
well, if ecotec v6 commodores still had cable operated speedo's this would still be the case.

jam a single wood chopstick in the universal joint at the end of the drive shaft so it jams against the car body and the engine will stall.
Old 02-20-2002, 15:21   #6 (permalink)

Thanx for your input guys, it seems that you have the same opinions as me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8
it starts back a zero doesn't it? Well i'm pretty sure it does. Anyways who cares about the tampering. If the odo say 10,000 and the car has done over 1,000,000 and you cant tell then you should go buy a push bike!!!
Yeah, my thoughts exactly, I mean big Qudos to the Owner if they can keep the car looking original after 1,000,000Km, but there would obviously be some tell tale signs. (Or the owner has replaced every single part, which would probably cost more $$$$ than the car is worth.

I think the guy was pulling my leg with the Limp home theory, but I am still wondering about the dash stopping at 999,999, (Or at least the Odo reading).
Obviously, this scenario is not as bad as the car not working, but wouldnt this be illegal, (I mean at rego time, year after year your car would have 999,999Km on the Odo).

Again, thankyou for your opinions.
Cheers
Matt
Old 02-20-2002, 15:31   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigred
As for definitive evidence, i have none... im pretty sure that ford thought of this potential problem. I dont think ford would have simply disabled the car once it runs a million clicks, what just to stop kilometer tampering? If you want to tamper there are easier ways to do it anyways.

Cheers

Will
Yep, I have to agree with you there,
I was speaking to a guy that changes the Odo reading on digital instrument clusters, and all that is involved to reset the Odo is to remove and solder in a new chip. He told me that it is a 30 minute job. Apparently it costs more to wind the Odo up to the desired Km's, than it costs to reset it, due to the time required. (12Km a minute - Takes a couple of days to wind it up to approx 100,000Km).

Cheers
Matt
Old 02-21-2002, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

My bet is it will reset to 0000km after 999,999km.

I've witnessed an EB@ taxi that has 725k on it and EF's like mine with 500k. Makes mine look like just after running in.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU