engine turning, no spark - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2003, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
grippin'n'rippin

Read engine turning, no spark

if your car is suffering from these symptoms heres the cure.
*first run the ecu diagnostic and see what you come up with. If what ever it says does not fix te problem follow te following procedure:

*check if you got spark out of the ignition coil. you can do this by disconecting the lead from the coil to the dizzy at the dizzy end. place a spark plug in there, ground it and get some one to crank the engine. If theres no spark, check if there's power at the ignition coil connector from the battery. if there is, have the coil tested before you decide to buy anything. You can do this at just about any car electrician or ask at a parts store. I'm sure they'll tell you a place where you can get it tested. If its no good replace it. if its good problem is in the distributor.
*theres basically three thing that can be wrong at te dizzy end.
First is the tfi module. test this first as it is the most common cause of the problem. before you do, you might wanna have the timing gun handy to adjust the timing when you put everything back together.
loosen the dizzy and rotate it anticlockwise to gain access to the screws securing the tfi module to the dizzy. unplug the wiring connector from the module, remove two screws holding the module and slide it out.
to test it, you will need a multimeter. on this page you will find all the resistances: http://www.therangerstation.com/TFI_Diagnostic.html
check your module and compare. If its no good replace it. if its good, the problem is inside the dizzy. which brings me to the second thing that can go wrong.
to check the dizzy properly, you will have to remove it. Check with your repair guide for details. don't be afraid to try it just make sure that you follow the correct prcudere and it will be fine. once you have removed it, knock the pin out of the dzzy gear at the bottom of the shaft and slide the shaft out. Find a flat bottom screw and hammer it out (dont be afraid to whack it, they're hard to get out). pull the shaft out. using a multimeter to check for the continuity of the three wires. they are, from left to right, -, +, ecu signal wire. If one of them is no good replace it. if they are good, then that leaves the magnetic hall sending unit, which is the third thing that can go wrong.
to test it, you will need the dizzy back in the car. get the multimeter out, connect the positive terminal to the top pin on tfi connector and ground the second one. get someone to crank the engine and measure the voltage. It should read anywhere between 3 and 6 Volts. If its no good replace it. If its good, the problem is most likely the cars ecu.

I have just gone through this nightmare and it took a week to trace the problem. I know the post is WAY TOO LONG but i hope it helps someone. I wish that someone had written this when I need it...
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU