F150 Hot Wired!! Not Really, but.......?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 15:21   #1 (permalink)

F150 Hot Wired!! Not Really, but.......??

Just bought a '98 F150 with a 4.2 V6. The ignition still turns on with the key, but the previous owned added a push button to engage the starter (the push button connects between the small post on the selenoid (sp?) and large post of the selenoid that has the two large red wires that go to the what I assume are the coils. I'd like to return the vehicle to regular key starting if I can.

First, the original wire that goes on the small post is still hanging right there so I tried a new ignition switch (only $18) but no luck. Can't make anything happen in park, neutral or moving through the gears (it's an automatic).

Looking further, checked the starter. The red heavy-guage is in place, but there is a heavy-guage black on the starter that was cut. This cable is about 3 feet long, so I assume it went back up top somewhere (can't see another cut end anywhere).

Any help on where this wire goes would be greatly appreciated. Or any other ideas. Thanks!!

Paul
yesiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 07:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: F150 Hot Wired!! Not Really, but.......??

Ok,
the remote start button the previous owner has installed....does it work in ANY gear selection...i.e ALL

If so, its got a neutral start issue, and he's added the button to override it....not safe!

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:04   #3 (permalink)

Re: F150 Hot Wired!! Not Really, but.......??

Jas,

Thank you for your reply - I hadn't thought to try, but yes, the truck can be started in gear! Not good. Do you think I should try a new nuetral safety switch? I can see it would be easy to change, the only reason I didn't try it was because they are $50.

Back to the heavy black wire off the starter - the thing cranks fine now with the switch he put on - I wonder if that is just a ground?

Thanks again,

Paul
yesiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU