Faded Headlights On EF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2002, 01:34   #1 (permalink)
BSR

Faded Headlights On EF

I was looking at two EF Fairmonts today. On one of them the headlights had turned a yellow colour and the other car was fine. I was surprised how plastic the lens felt!

Anyone had this prob??? How much to replace light??

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2002, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

heya, all EF/L lights tend to fade, poor plastic design, or something like that.. to fix it, you can take it to someone to polish the shit out of them, and it comes up sparkling, or you can TRY to polish them yourself, it works, but not so good

or, if you have the money, ford want $320 per light assembly, you cant buy the lense by itself.. and it is plastic, its not glass
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 14:25   #3 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

The problem with EF lights is that the plastic used was not suitable for the purpose.
They are made from Polycarbonate and the grade they were using was susceptible to chemical attack from the acid in bugs guts, and temperature. Polishing the plastic can be done but it will just leave a fresh plastic on top ready for further degradation, best bet would be a brand new set from Ford spares as the plastic was changed (cant remember when). All headlights manufactured in Australia are made from plastic I beleive , and have been for some time.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:31   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Good call guys !!!!!
I had Headlamp protectors when I bought the car,
not my fault, they were there when I got it,
but anyway, from the constant rubbing, they "wore" out some of the plastic around the top edge of the headlamps.
Its not visable, unless you pop the bonnet.
Anyway, gave the top method a go, and used Turtle wax Cutting compound, then buffed it up with normal Polish.
Came out very smick !!!!

My only question is,
The headlamps faded only in places where the plastic had been rubbed off. Did Ford put some sort of coating on these lamps to protect them from UV ?????
Could you say protect them more by using Armour All every so often, or even a very thin coating of clear coat paint ???? Or will that stuff them up ???

Any idea's ????
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:15   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I must admit my head lights aren't too bad after i've given tehm a polish though i haven't spent a decent amount of time on them.
I have to say there not yellow anymore but it's still not clear kinda like a frosted look, i want them to be clear as like the ones on my dads EL.

I guess it's a good thing that the head light stuffs up from the out side as it can be polished if it was the inside then it'd be stuffed.

BTW seems the insides are ok i'm running 100w high beam globes.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 17:55   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Ok, Just yesterday i tried out a product recommended to me (Thanks Wulos) that will get rid of the yellow/mirky look on EF headlights.

Autosol metal polish works wonders, really got rid of the marks, sure it requires polishing but this product is by far the best i've tried and saves getting new headlights that costs an arm and a leg.

:s2: :s2: :s2:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 23:58   #7 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Ok, Just yesterday i tried out a product recommended to me (Thanks Wulos) that will get rid of the yellow/mirky look on EF headlights.

Autosol metal polish works wonders, really got rid of the marks, sure it requires polishing but this product is by far the best i've tried and saves getting new headlights that costs an arm and a leg.

:s2: :s2: :s2:
After searching the garage for ages trying to find my Autosol i tried it on my headlights. Having also tried the harshest polish I have I couldn't not much difference with my lights.
I think that the effectiveness of which ever product you use (within reason) is determined moreso by your effort than the product itself.
Elbow Grease Boys!:s6:
Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:23   #8 (permalink)

Is it possible to buy 3rd party (non genuine) EL headlights?

To get rid of faded headlights, I assume you just polished the outside?
Old 05-20-2003, 16:43   #9 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

You can get non genuine ones for a little over $100. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure you can get them for under $150.
Lees performance parts has them as well as various other places.

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
ET: 14.4 R/T: 0.001s !
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:45   #10 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Yeh, ive found that any EF/EL's fitted with headlight covers will prevent this from happining, hint hint if you dont want it to happen to you.

And yes i hate headlight covers as well, but if they save the lights they are worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU