Fuel, electrical??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2001, 18:29   #1 (permalink)
jase_elxr8

Fuel, electrical???

Hi,

I have a 97 XR8 thats starting to give me problems. Its losing power and wont rev whist driving, sometimes in spurts (lose power, then kick and then its gone again.) It's very intermitant, did it again today for the first time in a week. I'm thinking it could maybe the fuel pump or ignition module. Has anyone had the same thing happen??? What was the fix??? Also does anyone know the procedure to get the error codes out the computer??

Thanks,
Jase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2001, 19:24   #2 (permalink)
Paul

I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE.IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY BESIDE THE BATTERY/UNDER RADIATOR TANK.ON MINE E.B.
Old 05-15-2001, 18:41   #3 (permalink)
Brad

Unplug your MAF sensor, if the car runs like a rocket (but will chew up loads of fuel) then there you go.
Old 05-16-2001, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

The problem i have is the same I think. After the engine has been off for a while(still warm), when i start it up, about 10 seconds later it gets this dirty rough idle, and really hesitates in acceleration, so what i have to do is usually wait about 20seconds and it goes away, like its clearing its throat. The last 3 times ive taked\n the fuel pump out for inspection, the problem seems to disapear for a week or so. Then wullah, she's back. Also hesitates for a little while when cold.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 07:12   #5 (permalink)
paul

Yes hard to exlain like choke on too much in carb motor?? Seems too rich? I replaced sparkplugs,leads.I notice on latter motors they put the inlet air temp senser on inlet duct.Not on manifold which stays colder longer.Can be changed I guess.
Old 05-17-2001, 20:14   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

TWO TOMANY CYLINDERS.

CHEERS
KERRY

PS ONLY JOKING
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 20:48   #7 (permalink)
Jimbaddy

In spite of our instinctive reaction to fear the worst, most performance problems with EFI systems relate back to fuel. Generally (not always) if a fuel pump relay fails the car will grind to a halt. It may restart and drive off again, but it's not usually a "short enough" fault to give you the sort of problems described above. The first thing you should do, is have the fuel pump pressure and fuel flow tested. If the fuel pressure or flow are marginal, then under certain conditions, (usually temperature related), the problem will rear it's head.
Is the fuel pump noisy? Have you changed the fuel filter in recent times?

Salada

Jimbaddy
Old 08-01-2002, 11:54   #8 (permalink)
Layabout

eb_5litre and anybody else, I'm having the same problem with my EA (non MPI). After the car has been off for about 20min ~ 30min, it won't start and it would backfire. When it did start it would idle as rough as guts and would hesitate a whole lot. Putting the foot down it would surge (and almost die), like it was baing starved of fuel. It only happens when the engine is warm. Any shorter of longer than 20~30mins and it's fine. After it has started and driven for a minute or two there's no problem.
Mechanic can't find anything wrong 'cos it doesn't happen when he's around (as always).
EADan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 04:05   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Could also be the secondary stage of your coil...

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 16:42   #10 (permalink)
gone

Geezuz...where did this post come back from.... what was the answer anyhows jase
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU