Fuel Gauge Not working HELP!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Fuel Gauge Not working HELP!!!

This bloody guage hasnt been working fdor about 5 months now and i thought i might ask if any1 has had this happen its a eb II and the guage when i turn the car on goes full extent to the top of the guage then sits for a couple of seconds then drops all the way to the bottom and stays then until i restart car. I havnt been able to read fuel for that long and have nearly been stranded once its just starting to get to me. Please help...

Steve
:(
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 15:24   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Fuel pump sender is probably buggered. Not a cheap or easy fix, as the pump is a modular unit (I Think), and you may have to replace the whole pump unit, after you solved the challenge of getting into the tank, by unscrewing the top cap, disconnecting all the fuel lines, removing pump , and then putting it all back.....:oo1:
Old 03-04-2002, 15:30   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

My guage works, but isnt very reliable. I always read how many KM's I have done, to work out when I need to fill up.

ie.. Guage showed 1/4 when I started car. Drove to local supermarket (4km) and back. guage now showing empty.
Old 03-04-2002, 18:18   #4 (permalink)

Wink Kelli Leadfoot

You forgot to mention the 6 traffic light drags you had on the way...:s6:

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:45   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I had this problem on my NB Fairlane about a year ago. While I replaced the in-tank sender unit with a new one, I also found that the old one was repairable by carefully removing the float arm from the unit and bending the wiper arm back so it again made contact with the variable resistance printed on the printed circuit bit. The PC board and arm wear over time so they no longer make contact. You have disassemble the unit to remove the arm to bend it though. Watch out you don't lose the spring when you do it tend to fly off when you pull the unit apart. Be acreful not to otherwise bend the float arm or you will stuff up the readings you get. You can test if it's fixed with a multimeter measuring the resistance (see your shop manual).
2 Ohms Low stop 12 Ohms Empty 2.3 Ohms pre EB II
66 Ohms Half 81.2 Ohms Pre EB II
149 Ohms Full 200.7 Ohms Pre EB II
176 Ohms upper Stop
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU