Ford Forums banner

Gremlins in my central locking.

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jason_k_3431 
#1 ·
EA Fairmont Ghia Series 1.
Changed nothing, did nothing, touched nothing, but ..............

Sunday night locked the car with the alarm, all good.
Monday morning, unlocked car with alarm, doors opened all good.
On way to work, press button down to lock doors bounced down and back up, tried again, did same thing again.
Get to work park car, press alarm button, bounce down and back up, but at least alarm is armed.
Get screwdriver and some tools from desk, go back to car pull apart front doors and can't find problem, get car locked manually after disconnect of door actuators, and alarm car, leave it for the day.
Go home pull apart all doors, disconnect alarm from door control, disconnect and check everything doors still refuse to lock, they bounce up and down.
Currently doors are all disconnected at actuator, and I lock/unlock the car maunally, and arm the alarm at least.

Conclusion is that I think the feed wire for the door unlock is earthed out somewhere so always negative so it feels the doors should be open at all times, am I right to assume that only one wire at a time should carry a negative signal to tell the doors to be locked or unlocked ??

Any questions, suggestions, or fixes welcome. :bsr:

Jason

See less See more
#2 ·
Shut all of the doors and then using your key, lock the front left passenger side. If the locks stay shut, I think you'll need to replace the front passengers side motor. If they bounce back up again. Try sitting in the car, all doors shut, and locking either of the back doors. basically repeat what I just said. It sounds like one of your motors is reacting a little slow and thus thinking that they are being opened rather than locked... make sense. Give it a go, it can't hurt.

#3 ·
done all that, every single motor is disconnected, the back ones not being masters do work, with all connected back ones locked, the front ones bounce and the back ones come up as expected, but either front one, with all others disconnected bounce, I only have a drivers door key lock, so can only test that one, and yes it bounced as well.

thanks for the reply, what you said makes perfect sense to me as well, how do I explain it to the car .............. LOL

#5 ·
97EL - Is it slow to make noise as they do when opening/closing, or does it make noise and just slow to come up and go down, if its making the right noise at the right time, could be a matter of a bit of spray grease or similar on the lock components in the door to free things up.

Jason

#7 ·
ned, I disconnected just about every rod possible to the locking mechanism, and with the doors in almost every piece possible without removing rivets, either front door lock would not work by itself as it should.

but thanks for trying, I think this issue goes in my WTF file for the moment, and during the 17th to 24th of July mod/rebuild of my car, I will sort it, be nice to get it working before.

#8 ·
Dellboy999 said:
97EL - Is it slow to make noise as they do when opening/closing, or does it make noise and just slow to come up and go down, if its making the right noise at the right time, could be a matter of a bit of spray grease or similar on the lock components in the door to free things up.

Jason
Nah it's slow to make the noise. All the others are locked and the indicators have flashed, but that one is still going.

#11 ·
Freak said:
Shut all of the doors and then using your key, lock the front left passenger side. If the locks stay shut, I think you'll need to replace the front passengers side motor. If they bounce back up again. Try sitting in the car, all doors shut, and locking either of the back doors. basically repeat what I just said. It sounds like one of your motors is reacting a little slow and thus thinking that they are being opened rather than locked... make sense. Give it a go, it can't hurt.
Sounds exactly like my problem, on an EF :)

I might try lubing it up first and see how it goes ..

Thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.