Headlights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2002, 19:18   #1 (permalink)

Headlights

I have an EL futura which has a single low and hi beam globes on each side. I noticed in the workshop manual EL Fairmonts and above have a combination low and high beam globe plus an additional highbeam globe.

Has anyone converted their headlights on a gli or futura to a fairmont set up which would involve changing the low beam globe holder to a fairmont holder for a twin filament light.

How hard is it to do ? and what type of costs?

The benefit would be doubling the high beam intentsity which would help on the long back roads in NSW which I drive late at night.

cheers

Craig
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2002, 20:34   #2 (permalink)

In theory, If you could get the globe to physically fit, then it shouldnt be to hard to do !

On the Gli/Futura's, there is already an Extra Line for the High Beam on the Dual Fillament Globe, that is not connected to anything !

I havent had a good look at the back of a Gli/Futura headlamp assy, so I dunno how hard it could be, but asside from that, if it fits, then its just a matter of getting a plug for the globe, and soldering it up !

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 21:04   #3 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Are you sure on the single filament low beam, I used to have an EL GLi, and am pretty sure it ran H4's and H1's , which the H4 are a dual filament High / Low beam 55w/60w, I bumped em up to 90/130 and 100 in the high beams and it made a huge difference...
Old 06-10-2002, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Hmm, interesting point people - I was under the same impression as Jesmol - I thought that the EL Fairmont lights had the same dual filaments as the Gli / Futuras. I thought the only difference in the whole headlight assembly was the different shape - seeing that the prices for the Gli / Futura lights are exactly the same as the Fairmont ones.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-10-2002, 22:20   #5 (permalink)
Don't be a sheep

Don't for get to use the Hi-Spec Halogen Fluid:s4
Old 06-10-2002, 23:34   #6 (permalink)

I agree with Jesmol. i thought every newish falcon had the dual highbeam/lowbeam headlights. In my XF I have 2 highbeam globes on each side. One H4 and the other H3(or H1 not too sure) The H4 is low and highbeam globe
Old 06-11-2002, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Cobra188

Craig, if you want good light in front of an EF or EL for driving country roads you will have to get a pair of good driving lights on a light bar - I'm sure you've seen 'em. I have a couple of Hella 180s and they work fine - high power globes in your existing lights will just burn the lenses which are plastic - you will see them go yellow on cars that are outside all the time and in cars with high power globes. I also changed the front bumper bar on mine and fitted an XR front with the four headlights - better than the original lights if you want to spend a couple of thousand dollars and improve the appearance of your car - the GL bonnet is the same as the XR except for the vents. You might have to do some wiring on the lights as the XR ones keep the low beam on at all times - they don't change over from high to low, but just the highs come on together with the lows when you switch to high beam.
Old 06-11-2002, 17:06   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Cobra for your advice

I will think about putting driving lights, the only reason I'm holding back is I live in a unit with no garage, carport only and am concern some bastard may try ripping them off or from time to time we have problems with vandals and them may just damage them.

With your driving lights have you gone for pencils or spread bream in your configuration.

cheers

Craig
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:10   #9 (permalink)
No longer around

man i work at a company called headlight and heater in geelong
you would have to physically change the reflector to make the H4 globe fit BUT the Fairmont reflector is shorter than the falcon one so you would be able to see the black inside of the headlight also you would have to replace the wiring inside too.
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:29   #10 (permalink)

Just one thing that I realised about the Fairmont vs GLi/Futura Light thing.

The Fairmont does have the Dual Filament Light Bulb, but only one Filament is lit when the High Beams are on.
I.E. you only have the 60Watt High Outer+55Watt Inner High Beam Bulbs, not 55WOuter + 60WOuter + 55Watt Inner

To get all the Filaments Lit up, you need to pull the Highbeam stalk, to activate the "passing feature"

Sorry I didnt mention this earlier, as It completely slipped my mind.

It is possible however to wire the HighBeam relay up to the LowBeam relay, using a Diode, so as the Low Beam Relay is activated whenever the Highbeams are used (Useful for fairmont only), but then there is that high temperature for the plastic lense problem, and reduced bulb life issue with doing this.
(This is how I have mine wired at the moment, but I very very rarely get to use High beam in the city and built up areas.

Basically I would have to agree with Cobra and fit some good quality Driving Lights.
A friend of mine has them fitted to his EF, and has his car parked on the street, in a bad neighboorhood, and has not had them stolen yet, but he does have ppl fiddling around with them, pointing them at the ground, air, etc, which really p!$$e$ him off Lol !
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU