Headlights on my EF Fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2002, 08:09   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

Headlights on my EF Fairmont

Hiyas

Not long ago i had the right hand headlight on my EF Fairmont replaced after a little altercation (asshole cut into my lane hitting front right) and i have since realised the Left headlight is badly discolored (foggy). I was wondering if there was any way short of a new headlight of fixing this. Is there a way the headlight can be disasembled and the lens (glass) be rubbed back to clear?? Has anyone done this??

Any help would be appreciated guys

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
RedEF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

This is a very common problem with EFs. Firstly, my concern is that the headlights are not properly sealed so may be allowing moisture inside (this would render any cleaning efforts temporary at best).

As for the cleaning, check out this thread:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=11603

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 19:35   #3 (permalink)

The easiest and quickest way to do this is to find a headlight repairer, and have them replace the lenses. The Ford parts cost about $300+ each, but replacing the lenses about $100 each. I had mine replaced by a chap in Melbourne.

Aparently it is a common problem with EFs.

The actual headlight assy has to be heated to diassemble the lens from the rest. Not like the old XDs where the lens was like a big baking dish and could be unclipped. (and this is progress???)
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

the XD head lights were evil to get on and off, I spent many hours trying to get them clips to go back on when i was changing the lens.

if im not mistaken, one of the reasons behind the EF head lights fading and going yellow is because they are perspex not glass...
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU