Headlights on my EF Fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-02, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Blue Blooded Ford Fan
Headlights on my EF Fairmont

Not long ago i had the right hand headlight on my EF Fairmont replaced after a little altercation (asshole cut into my lane hitting front right) and i have since realised the Left headlight is badly discolored (foggy). I was wondering if there was any way short of a new headlight of fixing this. Is there a way the headlight can be disasembled and the lens (glass) be rubbed back to clear?? Has anyone done this??

Any help would be appreciated guys

'95 EF Fairmont, Cardinal Red I6, 4sp Auto, King Lows, 17" alloys, 2.5" exhaust 110rwkw - Click Here

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-02, 09:23 PM
400 kg ego
This is a very common problem with EFs. Firstly, my concern is that the headlights are not properly sealed so may be allowing moisture inside (this would render any cleaning efforts temporary at best).

As for the cleaning, check out this thread:

Jack Travis, E-Series Acting President

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-02, 07:35 PM
The easiest and quickest way to do this is to find a headlight repairer, and have them replace the lenses. The Ford parts cost about $300+ each, but replacing the lenses about $100 each. I had mine replaced by a chap in Melbourne.

Aparently it is a common problem with EFs.

The actual headlight assy has to be heated to diassemble the lens from the rest. Not like the old XDs where the lens was like a big baking dish and could be unclipped. (and this is progress???)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-02, 01:28 AM
Death to Camry's!
the XD head lights were evil to get on and off, I spent many hours trying to get them clips to go back on when i was changing the lens.

if im not mistaken, one of the reasons behind the EF head lights fading and going yellow is because they are perspex not glass...
Sponsored Links

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts