Heater Taps in E-series cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2004, 20:37   #1 (permalink)
jjj

cool Heater Taps in E-series cars

Just replaced my heater tap in my ea falcon. $48 from repco. It was leaking small amounts of coolant and the metal pipe end was corroded beyond a joke. Also the little plastic flipper inside had come away from the metal vacume actuator so the heater tap looked like it was closed but really was always open. The A/C works alot better now and I don't get annoying condensation build up on all my air ducts under the dash when A/C is on. The bloke at repco said that probably 50% of EA-ED cars would have faulty heater taps by now and it could lead to be problems later on if not fixed. eg loss of coolant, blown head gasket or cracked head.

cheers jjj

Last edited by jjj; 01-10-2004 at 21:28.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 01:38   #2 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Re: Heater Taps in E-series cars

Yeah I replaced mine a couple months ago, and while it didn't make my heater 100%, it did noticably improve it. They're a revised design now, where they're pretty much 100% plastic so they don't corrode. At least that's the Ford design anyway. I paid $28 for mine through work (a Ford dealer).

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
cArSiK

same here....fitted a new one afew months ago....sure improved A/C performance...

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:30   #4 (permalink)

yeah i ahd mine fitted by mechanic and supplied for 33 bucks,leave it n when it bursts its no fun..i replaced mine as soon as it was spotted.
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon69
yeah i ahd mine fitted by mechanic and supplied for 33 bucks,leave it n when it bursts its no fun..i replaced mine as soon as it was spotted.
Guys, I'm having trouble with the heating in my EA, in fact there is no heat at all. I checked both the hoses after the engine had warmed up and both were cool. Me think something is blocked there and I don't think the heater valve is working either.

But was is the heater taps you are referring to and would it relate to my problem at all.

Cheers,
Steve
xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:42   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Check your thermostat. If both the hoses are cool then theres a problem somewhere. The bottom hose should be cooler than the top. That might explain the lack of heat in the cabin but your heater tap may be non functional as well. Perhaps a full cooling system overhaul might be a good idea?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Check your thermostat. If both the hoses are cool then theres a problem somewhere. The bottom hose should be cooler than the top. That might explain the lack of heat in the cabin but your heater tap may be non functional as well. Perhaps a full cooling system overhaul might be a good idea?
Well, I've just had the radiator replaced so the next step is the thermostat.

When you mention bottom hose as opposed to the top, on my EA, the 2 hoses are side-by-side as they go into the firewall or am I looking in the wrong place. One of those hoses is connected to the heater tap, which I now understand, which has a green hose connected to it.

I had this hose disconnected and was getting a hissing sound within the cabin which is now fixed. But, my fans are stuck on face and do not change to demist or foot when I change them, they just stopped working a few weeks ago. Does that relate to it at all?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-01-2004, 06:10   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the radiator hoses.

The 2 hoses for the heater core will stay cold if there isn't ewater flowing through them. This will mean there is either a blockage (highly unlikely) or the heater tap is stuffed. Take the hoses off and put a garden hose up one and see if it flows out the other one.

If the fans are suck on face there might be another problem. The heating system defaults to screen if there is a vac leak. I don't know why yours only works on face unless there is a fault with the mechinisim which controls the vacuum routing.
Old 02-01-2004, 18:42   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
If the fans are suck on face there might be another problem. The heating system defaults to screen if there is a vac leak. I don't know why yours only works on face unless there is a fault with the mechinisim which controls the vacuum routing.
Ok, might give it a go tonight.

Also, when burying myself under the big tennis racket looking at these hoses I noticed some air blowing out of the firewall, I'll try and describe it. It's an outlet pipe of some sort, seems about 1.5 inches long, hard plastic. There is a cut piece under the bottom part. It is located on the firewall about 5 inches below where the air-conditioning pipes entire the firewall. With the engine running, if I put my hand in front of this it is blowing air out.

What is this for? Is it supposed to have a vaccuum hose connected to it at all? is it supposed to be blowing air?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 19:24   #10 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Stupid question - where is the heater tap?

Dan...

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU