Ford Forums banner

Help installing electric aerial

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  galapogos01 
#1 ·
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me.

Yesterday I got Sundeep to help install an electric aerial into my EA GL. The aerial is from an EA Ghia, not an aftermarket job. The thing has two wires coming from it, red and green. We cannot work out which wires go where.

We are trying to hook it up to a JVC headunit if that's any help. If anyone has any ideas, please share them. I can't find the installation guide for the headunit at home, so I can't refer to that for help either.

Thanks in advance,

Ash

#3 ·
Kenaz, I think the elect antennas run off the body computer which reverses polarity to those two wires to send it in the opposite direction.
The body computer also times the signal, so the antenna will go 1/2 way up on one setting and all the way on the next setting.

You would probably be better off getting a fully automatic electric antenna instead and using that, they are around $40 for a cheapie.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help 9psi EB. :thup: I realise it probably would've been easier/cheaper to use aftermarket but I have the thing now, so I might as well try to install it properly.

joelburden: Bolting the thing in was relatively easy. Sundeep actually did all the work, but I didn't hear him complaining too loudly so it couldn't have been that difficult :p Working out how to wire it all up is the hard part. I have no idea how much a wrecker would charge, as I purchased mine from a fellow forum member.

Ash

#5 ·
9psi EB is spot on....

I had a hell of a time screwing around with a factory electric aerial on my mates EB.

If you're gonna try and use the factory one, then i'd strongly suggest ditching the idea of using the headunit wire (we tried using this - didn't work too well). I'd be sitting down with some wiring diagrams for a ghia and trying to wire it up just like ford did.

I'd STRONGLY suggest saving yourself the hassle and buying an aftermarket one, though...

If you want any more info, feel free to pm me, mate.

Cheers,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.