Help Installing Tacho - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2003, 23:47   #1 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Lightbulb Help Installing Tacho

hey guys.
Was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I just brought an after market tacho (3 3/4", before you call me a "RiceBoy" the bloke at my wreckers quoted me $140 for an ea s pak cluster, and the tacho was only $98) and it has four wires:
but there's 2 I'm unsure of, one of them being the tacho lighting and the other being tacho signal, from my understanding it's a pink wire.
Help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers
Mason.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

There are usually 4 wires. red, black, white and green.
red = ignition power 12V
black = earth
white = illumination..dash lights power
green = wire to distributor / ecu.

On my VL there is a wire in the engine bay for hooking up diagnostics that i took my tacho feed off of. I can't really help you with hooking up that wire on an EA though sorry.
hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:19   #3 (permalink)

We put one in my brother's xf and the wiring was actually under the dash. If you can get hold of a wiring diagram in will probably tell you what colour wire to look for. In the xf the taco signal wire came from the instrument cluster and I think the light wire we just hooked up to the park light switch?? Anyway that way you dont need to run any wires into the engine bay. Hope that gives you a bit of help
l_jobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:30   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

There should be a pink wire coming out next to the brake booster. Hook the signal wire up to that one.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:36   #5 (permalink)

Acutally there is a million wires under the brake booster.
To be a little more specific, there is a large connector called a "Self Output Connector", next to it is a smaller one with only 1 slot called the "Self Input Connector", and next to that is a female connector. These three thing, are each combined with black tape. The female connector is a single connection with a rubber protection, on this female connection is the Pink wire with blue strips. This is the tacho wire. Just get a male connection to go in it, or just simply cut it and solder a wire on to it. Then trace this new wire that you connected to the pink to the dash through the firewall.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 00:04   #6 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Quote:
Originally posted by hornet

white = illumination..dash lights power
This is the one I'm worried about, where abouts do i find the dash lights power?, behind the cluster??
Ohh and it's an ED guys not an EA (if there's a difference)
Cheers
Mason.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU