How do you take the dash apart for an XC? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 21:58   #1 (permalink)

How do you take the dash apart for an XC?

I am trying to take the piece of the dash where the speedo and rev counter is. I have got everything undone apart from the head lights knob. It doesn't have a little Alen key screw in the bottom of it like the windscreen wiper knob. There is nothing that I can see that says it shouldn't come off. What have I missed in this, what I thought, was a simple process. Should I suspect that someone has been a dipshit and glued it?
JackFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 00:51   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: How do you take the dash apart for an XC?

Just be a little forceful, and yank the sucker off... Someone may have glued it. I have done the same thing as you are trying to do, and the headlights knob never had any allen key screw on it, only glue. I found a better knob for it and it just pushed on and it works fine - no glue required.
Old 01-29-2004, 13:40   #3 (permalink)

Cheers for that. I was wondering what the hell was holding that on there. Do you advise me to get another knob before I pull it off uncase I have problems or shouldn't I worry all that much and just pull that sucker off?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:26   #4 (permalink)

No Boys, what are you doing?
If you "yank the sucker off" you'll wreck the headlight switch.

Don't look at the windscreen switch and think "should be the same"... Its very different. Just do the following and you won't have to replace a thing.

1) Look at the headlight switch, you will notice below there is a small compartment (or an 8 track player, depending on the options that were selected), you MUST remove this! To do this, you will most likely have to drop the steering column, not hard, just four nuts with affixed bolts.

2) once thats out of the way, jam your right hand (you won't be able to do it with your left) inside that hole and feel directly under the switch... a big box you say.

3) The box is quite large, but about a 3rd of the way in you will feel a small raised knob. This is actually a release mechanism for the pull switch. You have to push pretty bloody hard on this plastic thing and pull the switch at the same time, do not force the switch, just be patient... Its probably been 25 years since its been out.

4) unscrew the small nut on the end and presto you have a dash on your lap. Remember not to give the steering coolumn too much curry when its hanging (they were designed to colapse and with enough force... you'll find out).

Cheers, Case.
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
No Boys, what are you doing?
If you "yank the sucker off" you'll wreck the headlight switch.

Don't look at the windscreen switch and think "should be the same"... Its very different. Just do the following and you won't have to replace a thing.

1) Look at the headlight switch, you will notice below there is a small compartment (or an 8 track player, depending on the options that were selected), you MUST remove this! To do this, you will most likely have to drop the steering column, not hard, just four nuts with affixed bolts.

2) once thats out of the way, jam your right hand (you won't be able to do it with your left) inside that hole and feel directly under the switch... a big box you say.

3) The box is quite large, but about a 3rd of the way in you will feel a small raised knob. This is actually a release mechanism for the pull switch. You have to push pretty bloody hard on this plastic thing and pull the switch at the same time, do not force the switch, just be patient... Its probably been 25 years since its been out.

4) unscrew the small nut on the end and presto you have a dash on your lap. Remember not to give the steering coolumn too much curry when its hanging (they were designed to colapse and with enough force... you'll find out).

Cheers, Case.
That's a lot more technical than my work shop manual... Thanks for that Case.
Old 02-02-2004, 20:55   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for that info. I did what you said word for work and it worked however, I only got as far as taking the small compartment out. I can see the switch behind the dash now but I can't get it off for the life of me. The switch is gray and plastic with wires coming out of it and slides into a white plastic thingy. Does this mean anything to you Case? Do I have to slide that gray plastic out before I can take the knob off? If so is there any little catch on the gray or white plastic that I should look for as I can't seem to see anything there that holds it in apart from it just sliding in there.
Once again, thanx for the info as I would never have thought of taking it apart like that.
Old 02-03-2004, 19:11   #7 (permalink)

I thought you might run into this problem... It simply just doesn't come out.
If you have really little hands, you might be able to pry the plug off... Can't remeber if the switch is held on to anything other than the small nut at the front. perhaps see if you can get the nut un-done to give you a tiny bit more room.

You will probably find knuckles disseapearing at this stage... not sure what other advice to give you.

The only way I got mine off (the first time) was to modify a s/driver into a 90 degree angle right at the end. Worked a treat to push the switch in!

Let me know how you go. If nothing works, the solution may include vice clamps, alot of pulling and probably plastic snapping.

Case.
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU