Instrument Cluster Needles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 02:28   #1 (permalink)
AU Fairmont Ghia V8

Instrument Cluster Needles

Had a look around and there is plenty on the conversion to blue LEDs but not too much on changing the colour of the needles after switching over to blue.
Working on the conversion to blue LEDs and am now looking to paint the needles white instead of orange/red. How do I go about removing the needles? Is there any tricks? Anything I should watch out for?

The LEDs I got from fuzion over at fordmods are great took no more than 10 mins to install them bit pricier than getting all the bits seperatly and doing all the soldering etc yourself but I don't think that would have been such a quick job. Now onto the rest of the interior lights...
Fairmont99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 07:43   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Instrument Cluster Needles

moved to appropriate thread. This is not specific to the aufalcon.com website or associated issues.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:07   #3 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

With the removing of needles, you have to be careful not to scratch the face panel or the light will show through. The needles are just pushed on. Get some thin plastic (cut off the corners of a margarine container lid), slide it under the needle, and with a screw driver, gently prise upwards from as close to the center of the needle as possible. The colour of the needles might be possible to change by removing the orange stip that is on top or under each needle (can't remember), or using some other needles from another model. This could prove to be a tricky mod cause if you stuff up/break a needle, you'd most likely need to purchase a whole new or secondhand cluster as I doubt you'd be able to purchase the needle by itself.

Post a couple of pic's of the cluster at night as they're now if you could please? would like to see how they look, and also a pic of these LED's that you got just by them selves too if possible.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 19:25   #4 (permalink)
AU Fairmont Ghia V8

Sorry about wrong thread had been up for 30 odd hours...

Anyway I'll post some picks of the cluster and the LEDs etc. I'll be getting some different phosphorous and metallic paints to use on the needles not sure what I'll use yet. The orange paint is on top of the needles the push on/off bit is all I'm worried about.

At night the cluster looks pretty good already just the needles kinda disappear except for a blue glow around them. I do hardly any night driving if any so it's not a problem to muck around with this for a while to get it just right.
Fairmont99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 16:52   #5 (permalink)

You could put BA needles on. Thye light up well with the blue LED cluster mod. Sorry the pic is a bit blurry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baneedles.jpg (58.7 KB, 30 views)
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 16:10   #6 (permalink)

I stuck some bright red LEDs in behind the needles and glued them in. Angle was tricky, used hot melt to align and epoxy to set. Can't member if they were 3mm or 5mm though. Looks awesome, I would never use a blue needle - the red stands out and you don't need to look at the instruments to read them which is a big safety plus. Would help if you ever got roadied too, needles that don't stand out would be very iffy to many coppers who might initally be attracted (like flies? :)) to the blue glow lighting up your face behind the wheel...
benryanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU