Keep Blowing Headlights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Keep Blowing Headlights

Hey Guys,

Just a question to those out there who know there stuff with auto electrical

I currently have Narva H1 100w globes in the headlights of my EF XR-6, They used to be fine but lately i have started blowing them at the rate of approx one every 2 months or so, Its not one side that specifically does it and they seem to do it in sequence, Eg you blow one side, change it and then the other side blows

I cant see that voltage drop could do it because that would just make them dimmer, It only seems to be the lowbeams that are the prob

I have tried to source Hella globes to try instead but not many ppl down here in adelaide seem to stock them

Any Ideas,

Regards,

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 04:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Keep Blowing Headlights

Had a similar prob with my old mans EL, would blow a globe about every 2 to 3 months. Tried all sorts of different globes without any success. Fitted a cheap Matson surge protector across the battery terminals (from Repco Auto Parts) just to see what would happen. Hasn't blown a globe in over 6 months. I would have thought that if voltage spikes were causing the globes to blow that other more sensitive electronic components would fail too, but it seems to have fixed it.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:13   #3 (permalink)

Hmm interesting, hadnt thought of that before will get some diffrent brand globes and if that dosent fix it i will give the surge protector a go
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Also check the globe retaining springs are tight; they can get bent and loose so the globe is only in intermittent contact or goes out of contact when you hit a bump. I had this problem (the constantly failing globes) with the NB and a bit of judicious bending in the other direction fixed it. They need to so tight the globe can't move out of its seat.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:55   #5 (permalink)

springs were tight last time i checked but i think the actual globes are blown
Old 08-01-2005, 05:59   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

yes the loose spring mounts blow the globes.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:01   #7 (permalink)

oh ok then , Wouldnt have thought of that . Good idea will look into it

Thx
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31   #8 (permalink)

G'day,
you probably know this, but another thing that will give an indeterminate life on headlight bulbs, is to NEVER touch the glass.

they are quite susceptible to the oils on your fingers.

Poor earth, and relays on thier last legs will also kill globes.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 23:25   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
G'day,
you probably know this, but another thing that will give an indeterminate life on headlight bulbs, is to NEVER touch the glass.

they are quite susceptible to the oils on your fingers.
Yep - the glass of the bulb must be spotless - just NEVER touch the glass between getting them out of the packet and installing them.

If you do get them dirty, isopropyl alchohol is the correct stuff to clean them with. (it is very clean and leaves no residue when it evaporates off)

I think that any contaminates on the glass don't allow the heat to be dissipated properly and for the filament, which is already running white hot, that is like the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:30   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for that, I allways clean the globes if i suspect they have been touched before i install them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU