Ford Forums banner

Might be getting a Trip Computer

4K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Xyphoid 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have an EL Futura and it only has a clock - instead of the more advanced trip computer etc. I know the trip computer is a simple plug 'n' play thing (thank God!) but my biggest issue is having it hooked upto the LPG system. I'm guessing it's either not possible or a lot of work - has anyone had any experience with this ?

Thanks,
Steve

#27 ·
Hiya Matt,

OK, the latest is that I've been able to locate the right hand-side cluster of wires (yeah, Ihad to remove the instrument cluster to get to it obviously! Grrr). Now, it's all clear to me, but connecting the wires is the next problem! Seeing I didn't get the wiring loom with the trip computer, I am unable to put wires directly into each plug as there is no pin for me to connect them too !! I'm guessing these pins come attached to the wiring loom that I probably need. Are there any other alternatives here that I may be overlooking ?

Thanks Matt + others,
Steve

Edit : I can scan the doco and email it to you if you like Matt ?

#28 ·
no probs with the pins. i stipped back the wire a little. twisted the strands and inserted the wire into the back of the plug until the wire poked through the front. then carefullybent it over and pushed it back through the hole the the pin would go through when connected up. works like a bought one.

#30 ·
Hello again all,

Well I've managed to manually connect the all important 3 wires to get the trip computer working - yay! I can also say that all features work on both petrol and LPG bar the distance to empty on LPG. Just our of curiosity, does anyone know if I can do something to get the distance to empty to work on LPG, or am I pushing the envelope a bit here ;-)

Thanks again ppl !
Steve

#31 ·
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but on the back of my old futura clock, there was only one globe for illumination, however on the trip computer, there is 2 holes - one has a globe in it (came with the trippy) and then there's only another hole without a globe. Now at night, the buttons don't light up and the little bits of the text don't either - I'm guessing everything points to this little globe that is missing - can anyone verify. Xyphoid - where art thou....again ;-)

Thanks all,
Steve

#32 ·
Yeah, definitely, the other hole (the one that is not in the middle), Illuminates the Buttons, and the Text next to the LCD Dislpay.

You probably noticed that the Clock's buttons didnt Illuminate, as the globe was used to Illuminate the LCD Panel.

With the Trip Computer, 1 Globe is used for the LCD Illumination, and the other is used for the Button and Text Illumination.

Also, If you are going to get a bulb for this, make sure it has one of those Ford Light Blue Condom thingie's on the Bulb, as without one, the Trip Computer Buttons will light up an orangy colour, and not match the rest of the car !

To give you an Idea of cost, in regards to the Bulb Holder, I bought NF Bulb Holders, complete with Bulbs for $3.00ea from Dominelli Ford (Rip off in terms of spare parts costs, but I am not going to complain at $3.00ea).

Cheers
Matti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.