Minor interior mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2001, 19:24   #1 (permalink)

Minor interior mods

I need some suggestion folks!

ok, imagine the big oval centre panel in lower spec AU1 falcons. now, if i install a single DIN stereo up top i'll have a gap just bellow it and i'm not sure if i want that storage box there.

is there a way to have that gap covered with a layer of plastic or whatever? what i'm planning on doing is having the whole panel resprayed the same colour as the car itself (prestige red) and i would like having a ford badge imbedded into the gap. i guess it wouldn't be hard, but you have to know what and how!

any suggestions?
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2001, 19:14   #2 (permalink)

when you find an answer mate let me know will ya!! I put a Pioneer single din cd in my car, and the gap between the stereo and the curve of the storage tray looks bloody awful
AU_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
Tickford Owners Club NSW

Guys,

Let me know the dimensions of the hole you are trying to fill. I have sourced a 4 CD holder that fits snugly into centre consoles on some cars.

Salada

Jimbaddy
jimbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:58   #4 (permalink)

hi jimbaddy!

to be honest, i'm not really after a cd holder because i want to have the whole unit spraypainted - i want a rather smooth look without any obtrusions save for the head unit.

i might have a talk to SSV since they quoted me on some custom work. i'll see what they can do.
Old 08-08-2001, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
Chewie

Ok guys, minor is not the word for this modification. You need to talk to someone who is really (and I mean REALLY) handy with fibreglass. We have done things like this at work. Vinyl is the only way to go as far as covering it, carpet looks shit house.
Find a good custom installer (of stereos) and pick there brains.
I will ask the guys at work what they think it will be worth to do, just so someone doesn't try and rip you blind!
Old 08-08-2001, 17:47   #6 (permalink)

custom... why do i get a bad feeling everytime that word gets mentioned... i mean, if it's gonna cost me something like $500+ just to get a little piece of plastic inserted there, forget about it... i mean... $500 is 4 good speakers and change left over for a couple of cds!

still, whoever can provide any type of info, i'll be really greatefull!
Old 08-08-2001, 19:56   #7 (permalink)

well, thanx fellas, any idea to fix this little problem has gotta be good, because it just looks so pathetic.
AU_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 07:49   #8 (permalink)

i was just having a look at it this morning on the way to work, and it's not that easy to be honest. the bloody thing curves! so if you wanted to graft something onto the gap you'd have to make sure the bottom part is curved as well... not easy... and it SHOULD have the same surface consistency as the rest of the panel. bloody hell! not easy at all!
unless you get the whole panel polished...
Old 08-10-2001, 10:12   #9 (permalink)

i just spoke to thomson ford spare parts. they say that i can't buy that little compartment that sits underneath the unit in forte's. i can only buy the whole panel which costs something like $76. bah... doesn't look good...

jimbaddy, i might take you up on that offer... i'll let you know of the dimensions when i install the stereo on sunday.
Old 08-10-2001, 17:42   #10 (permalink)
nipper

Hey Guys, XLR8 changed the double din unit in his XR8 (AU) to a single unit and has filled the bottom with a plastic compartment which comes standard in the forte.... (Single Din Unit) From memory it cost him around $ 25.00 from Kloster Ford Spares (Newcastle) Parts...

Sounds like Thomson Ford might be talking
S hit....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU