Need some information - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 21:40   #1 (permalink)

Need some information

Hello, I joined this forum to hopefully find some information on where I can find parts to upgrade my car. I own a 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX with the 3.8L 232 V6 (no supercharger), and it has air conditioning. I recently invested about 2K in having the transmission rebuilt, so it's more or less become my project car now. I bought the car for $500 from my parents, and my father is a mechanic for the US Postal Service so I am very, very familiar with this car's history and track record for maintainance. Despite the fact it's been in 3 accidents when they owned it, it runs great even with 160K on the odometer. You can barely hear the engine running at idle, and gets fairly decent gas mileage even in town. I have a laundry list running of mods I want to do to the car. The hood needs replaced, and it needs a new paint job. These are all things I am going to do to it once I return from my next tour in Iraq. The question I am looking for some information on is this: I recently installed a Pioneer CD/MP3 player to replace the factory stereo. This head unit has a high output of 50W x 4 channels, plus I have a Kenwood KAC-921 amplifier (100W x 2) running bridged to one channel in the trunk driving a 12" Alpine subwoofer in a sealed enclosure. Needless to say, I'm putting quite a draw on the factory alternator. I am wondering if a 3G alternator will fit in my Thunderbird. I have looked around on the Internet, but I haven't found too much useful information and most of what I have found is vague at best. I have a couple more things I want to do interior-wise (DVD player with flip down screen in the headliner for the kids), so I will need the high output alternator. Along with the alternator will be a bigger battery in the engine compartment and the stock battery will be moved to a battery tray in the trunk along with the isolater I will need to run this set-up. Any information on alternator upgrades and if the 3G will fit in my T-bird would be greatly appreciated.
aasltmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006, 07:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need some information

Your stereo isn't that great in the load it will put on the existing system...which would probably cope fine.

Most alternators these days are 60 amp standard, when the car can survive well on 30 amps, so there is plenty of room for expansion.

If you are worried, install a centre zero ammeter and see what that has to say....anything on the plus side means you have power to spare.......
Expect it to be on the negative side during cranking.

Cheers
Jas

PS your in the services, so make some mates in the motor pool....they will steer ya right, and and the right price too!
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU