new battery but still not working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 23:28   #1 (permalink)

new battery but still not working

hey all
i got a new battery today and put it in., but the car still wont turn over. it dusnt even try. i can hear a clic though but only 1.
have i put it in wrong or wasnt it the battery in the first place? thanks guys. im only 16 and seem to be spending all my money on my car. but i just love EAs!
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2002, 23:34   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Sounds exactly what happened to me. Yu arent manual are you>? If you are you could get someone to push you and when you let out the clutch turn the key to start. If your auto you could try to hit the ass of the starter motor with something large.

First check your terminals are tight, the lead to the starter motor is tight etc.

Is the click just the relay or the starter motor trying to engage?
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 23:37   #3 (permalink)

A single click with each turn of the key can often be a frozen/bad starter. The solenoid kicks out the gear but she can't spin, result- a single click.
Multiple clicks while holding the key in the start position is usually a weak battery, kinda like tic,tic,tic,tic,tic,etc.
Another thing to check for is your lights, if they completely dimm out probably bad battery. If you get the single click and lights are still operating, bad starter.
Old 11-19-2002, 23:38   #4 (permalink)

i dont know nething about motors. im only 16. but i know dad got sumthing dont to the engine and it cost like a grand, a new head or sumthin? would this hav nething to do with it?
thanks 4 your help
Old 11-19-2002, 23:44   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

if the cars been running since the head then it wont have affected it. Most likely youve been hit by the falcon curse, Fix one thing and the other parts cant handle it so something else craps out".
Old 11-19-2002, 23:45   #6 (permalink)

i 4got to mention that i found a wire coming out of tha red terminal but it doesnt go to nething or touch nething. could this hav sumthing to do with it? but it was neva connected to nething i dont think
Old 11-19-2002, 23:46   #7 (permalink)

and another thing: were is the starter motor and should i just give it a few whacks?

sorry 4 all these posts
Old 11-19-2002, 23:53   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

If you are standing in front of the car, the starter motor is on the right hand side under the manifold. It will have to be hit from below the car since itll be impossible to reach from above. The starter motor is the thing with the big red cable going to it and a smaller red cable as well. dont it the cables.
Old 11-19-2002, 23:54   #9 (permalink)

What red terminal?
Was the battery fully charged when you installed it?
The starter motor is at the lower back of the motor, should have a couple of heavy wires attached.
Have you tried to start it?, did the lights dim out when you turned the key?

More info on engines, read this:www.howstuffworks.com/engine4.htm
Old 11-19-2002, 23:55   #10 (permalink)

Hey this bloke is getting his 2 bob's worth!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU