NF/NL Fairlane Instruments Cost $$$ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2002, 20:54   #1 (permalink)

Question NF/NL Fairlane Instruments Cost $$$

OK, any help here would be very greatly immensly appreciated !!!!
I am looking to purchase an NF/NL Fairlane or LTD Instrument Cluster.
Does any one know how much Ford sells them for (Brand new).
Or does anyone know of a wrecker selling this cluster ????

(I am hoping that Ford is willing to sell them new for less than $500, but I am not holding my breath)

I am looking to convert my Fairmont cluster with the Fairlane one, and I have already got a Fairlane cluster next to me that I have been playing around with, unfortunately though, its not mine, and the person whom owns it doesnt want to sell it to me, and will want it back very soon
I already have a good idea on how to wire it up, and also where to go to get the Odometer reading changed, but I am finding it virtually impossible to purchase a cluster for myself !!!!!

P.S. if it helps, I already have the part number, just dunno what it would cost me
94DA 10849-DC or the VDO part Number VDO12641

Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2002, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

whats the difference between them
anyone got a picture of the two.
am interested in why you would want the fairlane one, why is it so good?
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 00:39   #3 (permalink)
The Old Bloke

Try Smalls Wrecking in Brisbane.
But ring them on the phone as they do not tend to answer emails.
They have an NF Fairlane Ghia there at the moment.
"Your going to put WHAT in there"
Engineers comment about the 5.0 Lt EFI transplant to the Capri.
50LtCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:57   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for that 50LtCapriIll definitely give them a call tommorow !
(I know what you mean about them not answering emails, I emailed them over 1 month ago about Fairlane parts, and they replied with a 3 word message, "Door trims sold". Didn't matter that I was after a range of parts including Instrument Cluster, Smart lock, cruise control module, etc. etc.

Anyways........

I have both the dashes here beside me at the moment, but my digi cam is stuffed. :dead: (Will be getting it replaced tommorow.... Hopefully). So I will post pics then.

Anyway, there is not much of a difference, with the exception of
1) Different style dials (Like the EL, except with black fascia)
2) Automatic Transmission gear position indicator
3) Door ajar warning. (Has a cute picture of the car on the LCD panel, and shows what door, boot, or fuel flap is open, much like the latest pager alarms.
4) Has a Park/Brake bulb out warning
The LCD Panel on it is huge, about 3 times bigger than the standard dash, the needles and dials are a little bit bigger, and the cruise, econ lights are moved to the LCD Panel.

There are 3 connectors for the cluster, all are different from the standard cluster plugs :crazy1:

To be honest, it looks like a lot of effort to fit the thing in, but Ive been bored lately, and thought I needed the challenge

Cheers
Matt
Old 02-27-2002, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
The Old Bloke

I may have the connectors for you.

Depends on whats left over after I get the windsor and computers up and running in the Capri.

I bought the windsor from Smalls and it eventually came with all the looms from that Fairlane.

Cheers
"Your going to put WHAT in there"
Engineers comment about the 5.0 Lt EFI transplant to the Capri.
50LtCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 16:01   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 50LtCapri
I may have the connectors for you.

Depends on whats left over after I get the windsor and computers up and running in the Capri.

I bought the windsor from Smalls and it eventually came with all the looms from that Fairlane.

Cheers
That would be excellent if you have them !!!!!!
How much do you want for them ??? (If you have them ??)
They make installing the thing soooo much easier,
(I was going to solder directly on to the cluster new connectors, something like a D25. But at least this will look a lot more professional.

P.S. here is a pic of the cluster I am talking about.
Old 02-27-2002, 16:32   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Xyphoid,

Gotta agree the NF-NL intrument cluster is alot flashier that the falcon/fairmont equivelant.

I have to say though your quite ambitious in changing them around, after my ordeal with the the stuffed air selector switch (which i broke when trying to fix on of the aircon illuminates) :dead: :dead: i think the instrument cluster would be alot harder.

Are you going to make custom connections to get the fairlane cluster to work on your fairmont? Just interested in how your going to go about it.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 17:41   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help guys !!!!!
Especially 50LtCapri

Smalls wrecking does have the cluster, and the price is very good.
My only problem now is that it is from a V8 Fairlane.
Everything should work, with exception to the Tacho. (In theory)

I did a circuit trace on the Fairlane I6 cluster that I have, and found that the Tacho is connected to a custom VDO chip.
Luckily though, It is the same chip that is used in the Fairmont I6 cluster, and the surounding bits look the same as well.
So I am wondering if I just swap this chip, or look for any differing parts around this chip, then I might have an idea on how to convert the dash for use in the I6.
(Although, to be honest, I beleive that I am pulling it a little too much, and would be better off just getting an I6 cluster).

So my next question is does anyone know if the V8 and the I6 have different clusters, (I.E. different part numbers).
Also, Partsguy or anyone else, do you know how much Ford sells them for.

As for how to connect the thing, here is a list of things that will need to be done to get it working.

1) Connectors - I was planning on removing the standard connectors off the board, and in their place soldering flyleads, to a common connector, (EG a D25 as used on a parallel port on a PC). Then I would simply add the other end to the vehicle, and wire it up in parallel, so as I could use my original dash, If I cocked up some where.

2) Door open status - I will need to wire 2 resistors, and 1 diode to each door switch. (Boot, 4 doors, and the fuel flap). Because the Falcon/XR/Fairmonts dont have the duel Door switches, the diode will be used to isolate each door for the cluster.

3) Wiring up the Bulb out Connector - I really dont consider this feature very useful, but It would be nice to have it working anyway. This feature requires a connection to the brake switch, brake line near the bulbs, park lamps line, near the bulbs at the rear, and the park lamp switch. The dash circuit uses resistance to determine if a Bulb has blown or not.

4) Once all that has been done, the Odometer reading needs to be changed. I have been told that all that is needed to change the Odo is to swap the E2PROM chip - X24C44 with a dash that has the correct Odo reading. (IE swap the chip from the new fairlane Dash, with the chip from my existing dash).

To be honest, its a lot of work, but what I am trying to accomplish is a Short Wheel Base Fairlane, something like the Tickford model, except with the HPI6.

Finally also, whilst playing around, I learnt how to change the Odo colour, as well as the clock/Trip LCD colour, and the Climate control colour. I have them in Red at the moment, but I also sucessfully had the Odo in Blue and Yellow.
If anyone is interested, I can post pics, etc....

Cheers, and thanks for your help
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU