No Brake Lights In ZL. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2004, 05:20   #1 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

No Brake Lights In ZL.

after god only knows how long i yesterday found out that the ZLs brake lights werent working. thats all fine as i changed the busted fuse and also replaced a broken bulb BUT they still dont work at all. the tail lights work (when headlights are on) but there is no brake lights.
whats the problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
You got to Sass it!

Re: No Brake Lights In ZL.

Most likely sounds like the brake switch is busted, its most likely located up above near the brake pedal from what i can remember.
It only costs about $5-$10 for a new one of those from autopro.

What happened in my car the same thing but i just needed to adjust the switc abit and it was as good as gold.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:03   #3 (permalink)

is it the park brake light you are talking about? this light has been out on a couple of cars in the family, it just turns out that the wire wasn't attached, not sure exactly where it is, just by the steering wheel somewhere, check there to see if everything is in
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:49   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

had a look on the weekend for the brake switch and found out there is actually 2 of them on the fairlane models. (compared to the pano) so i went to autobarn and they didnt have any that suited so i got 2 from the wreckers today and will fit them tomorrow. hopefully they work as its sposed to be 29-32c here tomorrow and the aircon works great in the fairlane so it would be good to cool down without getting a fine for no brake lights.
if that doesnt fix the problem then im at a loss as to what it could be.
will update tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:59   #5 (permalink)
Happy lil Vegemite

Just a passing thought mate but if your Fairlanes got a towbar/trailor socket might pay to check where the sockets been spliced into the main Loom aswell.Seen shoddy jobs here cause all manor of probs in the past(Just another idea if you get stuck)
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 23:07   #6 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

well its at the auto elecs at the moment. the problem was beyond me. i tested my new switches on the van and they both work so i chucked them in the fairlane and still no brake lights. tested the switch wires with a test light and they work, tested the wires in the boot and there was no power coming through the brake wires but the tail lights still work (headlights on). so having all the globes working and no fuses blown it was beyond me. will find out in half an hour or so.
ill post after.
Old 10-12-2004, 00:10   #7 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

ok got it back from the auto elecs and its all fixed for the grand sum of $30. they said there was a break somewhere between the dash and the rear end so with my permission they fully rewired the brake wires from brake pedal to brake lights. now all i got to do is go and buy some black electrical tape to put over the brake warning light that comes on everytime you put your foot on the brakes. small price to pay in my books.

also while that was being fixed i took the van to get a quote on making the aircon work again (its 30 degrees here) and they tested to see if it had gas in it and it does but not enough to make it work. this was good news as it showed there are no leaks anywhere and a simple re-gas will make it work. this all up will cost me $110 which i think is pretty cheap and worthwhile to have done for summer.
this will be done soon im thinking.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:18   #8 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

So is there a brake sensor at the pedal or does it operate off the master cylinder pressure? I ask, cause mine stopped working and i replaced the pressure sensor in my master cylinder 3 times and all of em leaked and my brake lights still didnt work!

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 23:17   #9 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

there is 2 behind the pedal in fairlanes and ghias and 1 for the rest (going on the van has 1 and the fairlane has 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU