No Headlights! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2002, 09:33   #1 (permalink)

eek No Headlights!

I was driving along a pitch black road last night with headlights/highbeams on and the next thing I know I they die on me! Arrrhh Farrk! Lucky I was only doing around 50km and the road was straight.
I pull over and reach to fiddle with the switch and they come back on by themselves.... I flick the highbeams off and continue driving and I dont have anymore problems.

I suspect its a problem with the highbeams as they were only on for a few mins before the whole lot died on me.

I kinda think it may be linked to me washing the engine bay down about 2 weeks ago as this was the first time this has happened and the first time ive used the highbeams since....

So does any know what the problem could be?

Cheers in advance
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2002, 23:00   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I'll be interested in any replies here too, because I experienced a one-off incident on a rainy night in which my headlights 'almost' died - they were barely more powerful than the parking lights. I had to drive with high beams on to see where I was going - then the next night all was fine.

I never bothered to look into it, because I rarely drive at night and diagnosing 'random' faults can be very difficult...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 23:08   #3 (permalink)

it happened to me in the black spur- scary stuff!!
happened a few times since, out of the blu and i haddnt done nething to cause it. so your not the only one!
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:30   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

This happened to me on my XF.

Turned out to be the high beam switch (the stalk thingy).

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:16   #5 (permalink)

I had the same problem in my EA, the high beams go off & then come back on, problem is with the high beam circuit breaker in the engine bay. To fix simply get a new breaker from Ford.
Ian Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:12   #6 (permalink)

Martin!

Check your relay panel for corrosion, in my ED the bastards went on my a couple of times, and I fixed it (temporarily) by pushing the relay back into place. Turns out the whole panel was corroded.

Oddly enough, it happened to me once at 160KM/H at night, and I am still alive...

Good luck, it can be a bitch of a problem!

Pete
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:15   #7 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

yea i have that prob i thought it was because of the 130w globs i have in the high beams i have a EB

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 15:06   #8 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

confused me too

Lately ive noticed my lights flickering, sorta disconcerting really. Ive checked and even swapped the high lo beam relay. It wont be the hi lo switch to. Bad earth? wish I knew. Intermittent faults huh!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 17:09   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

If your lights go out then come back on after a short while it's the circuit breaker in the engine bay - on an ED it's a small silver oblong gizmo hanging off the rear part of the relay block near the battery at the side of the engine bay.

It's hard to tell tho whether the problem is the actual relay itself or whether the relay simply gets overheated because of a circuit/connection problem somewher else.

An auto electrician told me that when they replace those circuit breakers they solder the wires back on rather than using the connectors, because he reckons corrosion in the connectors is what causes the problem.

Using higher wattage headlite lamps probably definitely causes any poor connection/high resistance issues to be amplified.

Oh - and on the ED at least (don't know about earlier models) - the headlites do run thru relays - not just thru the switch. When I mentioned this before on the forums I had people saying to rewire the headlights to operate thru relays - but they already do.
Old 10-26-2002, 23:31   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, yes it does seem to have been the relay that was the cause, the contacts were pretty corroded.....

Last time I wash down the engine bay!
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU