Paint and fabric protection? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 02:19   #1 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Paint and fabric protection?

YIPPEEEEEE
I just placed order on XT sports pack with a few extra options. I think (hope) i did good deal.

Anyway now the dealer is trying to sell me V.I.P Chrystal Glaze (sorta MING) paint protection, Plus carpet and vinyl protection (sorta armour all or scotch guard I guess). These are applied before car is delivered and have lifetime guarantee.

Are these any good.? Are they worth the money? Both the interior and exterior protection. (about $900 for paint, fabric and vinyl treatments)

I will do a LOT of Km in the car, have 3 kids and coza my work will eat in the car lots. Do many others have this?

Also, they are promoting the SENTRY MK4 alarm. are these any good?
Are there better for cheaper? (about $500)

please help me the dealer is ringing me tomorrow to push me.

Thanks
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 02:33   #2 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Re: Paint and fabric protection?

I've had these protections before and IMO they are only worth it if you are going to keep the car for a lot of years.

They can be a pain if you damage your car as the panel beater has to order the protection and I've had to wait weeks for that.

Having said that though, it does make it easier to wash your car as you dont polish it.

We had a mob (Rembrandt's automotive paint restorers) talk about their product at a FPV club meeting last month. They sell a product called Glare polish. The good thing about them is that they are mobile so they can apply it anywhere.

I'm actually looking into this one as it costs around $500 to do the car. The phone number is 0414419891. Mine spends a lot of time outside so that's why I'm looking at protection polish again.

As for the alarm, have a look at http://www.sentryalarms.com.au/

It will tell you about the MK4 alarm. Personnally, I'd go to the MK3 (approx $900 fitted by Ford) as it has a lot more features.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:05   #3 (permalink)
.au member

I'll disagree - we have 'Amazing Glaze' paint sealant on our AUII Fairmont and it does wonders. I would definately go the extra and get it.

Fabric protection - stuff seat covers, they look cheap. If the car is going to get a bit of a workout (sounds like it will), then why not go an extra step to protect it?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:28   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Well I've always done my own fabric protection with several cans of Scotchguard and it does seem to work and last. It's also easy and cheap to DIY in this regard.
I have a 1980 LC Lancer with around 300,000 km on it as well and I have had that car from new and I am glad I gave it the scotchguard treatment - the fabric is as new (pity the paint job isn't). I've had a few cars Minged and otherwise paint treated and I doubt in the longer run I was really got value for money; it can't stop what the sun, gravel, birds and other drivers do to your car.

I guess in terms of pre-sales treatment if you intend keeping a car for years antirust treatment if done well is a good investment (even DIY with odourless fish oil and that tar like underbody sealer - a cheap but messy, time consuming and yukky DIY job). I did the LC Lancer and there is still no rust. The NC I have was treated by the previous owner and although it lived in a salt mud effected area up north before coming to me and has some very minor rust (doors and underbody) the treatment did seem to stop the rust spreading.

Last edited by Aussiblue; 12-30-2003 at 05:36.
Aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU