painting door interior - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2002, 06:30   #1 (permalink)

painting door interior

hey guys...i'm thinking of painting the door trim in my EA....

i was just wondering if anyone knew of some sort of like...spray on coating or something i could put on to make it last a little longer...like a clear sealer or something

cheers guys...

Trent

It's pronounced Yewjennicks.
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2002, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Hi. I have sprayed the interior of my EA S with a black vinal spray paint. It came up quite well. I did the dash, centre console, all door trims, ceiling trims, footwells, kick plates on each door, the peice that hides the seat belt as it goes down the pillar and also the trims on the seats (if you have seen a S pac interior, I mean the dark grey peices of the seat). It came up really nice and with my minimal paining experience I was very pleased. The only thing that I need to change is the paint sticks really well to the vinal and the cloth, (although the cloth needs a few coats to come out looking good) it didnt stick particuarly well to the door handles and the kick plates since these are always being touched etc and I need to by some more paint that is better suited to this. The whole lot took me 4 spray cans and I still have 3/4 can left over.
I removed every peice that I painted from the car so I could do a proper job. The only thing I have decided to change is to make some inserts for the doors around the door handles like on the fairmont interior to give it a bit of contrast as at the moment, I don't like the way it is with one solid colour over the whole door skin.

Jack Travis may have some pics of it from the last meet, no doubt he will post them if he has.
Hope this helps!
NZinAUS
Old 09-20-2002, 20:36   #3 (permalink)

ahh...yes thanks heaps...

how easy does all the dash and everything come out?

i am gunna paint the handles and window winder in red...to contrast a black door

i also have black roof lining material..just need to find someone to attach it for me...

my car is an S...so i know what you mean about the seats...

Old 09-20-2002, 20:37   #4 (permalink)

oh and how much was the paint by the way...
and where did ya get it from?

Old 09-20-2002, 21:22   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I left the roof liner grey, I didnt want it to look over done.
As for the dash, well, its a bit of a bitch. You have to remove the glovebox, speedo and surround, radio and I think the centre console. The wiring loom is actually attatched along the top of the dash and is especially hard to remove since you have to disconnect it all and also the fuses and relays are difficult to pull out. Mostly it is because theres screws everywhere and everything seems to support everything else. I dont think it would be possible to do a factory looking finish without removing it though. Get a friend to help you and it will make it easier
The paint is availible at any good autostore. I got mine from Super Cheap and from memory it cost $70 which included the 4 cans of black and 1 can of sivler alloy spray.

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2002, 21:24   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Also, the roof liner looks simple to install when you have all the celing trims removed that is if the one you have is factory...
Old 09-21-2002, 07:06   #7 (permalink)
Now Taurus Ghia Owner

how did you remove the centre console btw?

im actually interesting in spraying the interior now....do you have pics?
RFosgate EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 09:17   #8 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

nzinaus.

theres a whole lot of range on vinyl paint. i think vht is the best to use from personal experience with the cans!

make sure you clean your vinyl well before spraying, prepping is important, and a clear coat doesnt go astray for a really nice finish and to also protect your paint from scratching! :)

cans are $7-$13ea
Old 09-21-2002, 11:24   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Ahh, fusion, I think you are talking to EuGenixX and RFosgate EA.

I steered clear of VHT because I"d heard of quality problems with it before hand (not vinyl paint especially) and I didn't want to have to do it again, so I boutgh the more expensive stuff on the shelf.

I thought about clear coating it but I didnt want to get a glossy finish which in my opinion would look quite bad.

RFosgate EA: The centre console was easy to remove. Mine is an S-Pac so it doesnt have the flip top lid. You roll both the seats right forward and there is a screw on either side. Theres a few screws under the gear selcector surround.
As for pics, I don't have any as I dont have a camera. I can get them but my method of getting them is crude. I have to record it with a Camcorder and then watch it on my PC and take stills from that. They come out OK, but aren't great.
Ill take some today and see how it goes.
Old 09-21-2002, 13:55   #10 (permalink)

yeah...pics would be great....
just too see what you have done exactly...

i'm still not sure how you could pull the whole dash out...isn't that a BIG! job...?

i'll hafta have a look...i'm prolly gunna do my car in stages anywyaz......

i'll start with the doors first...nice and easy...hehe

and the roof lining i have...is only a material...it needs to be put onto the hard whatever is in the roof...

i want it done properly..coz i have heard stories about do it yourselfers....

thanks for all the great help everyone...

Trent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU