Parcel shelf/Back seat dramas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Woz
Breathe in that speed!

Parcel shelf/Back seat dramas

I want to take the parcel shelf out of my XB Fairmont and replace it with a new one as it's in fairly shitful condition and has speaker holes cut into it. But I can't work out how to remove it.

Do I have to take the back seat out? How does the back seat come out?

I can't work out how the back seat comes out. Does it bolt in from behind/inside the boot, or is there a bracket or clip system down the sides or underneath or what? I can't get to the back of the seat as there is a gas tank in the boot.

Little help, anyone?
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

Re: Parcel shelf/Back seat dramas

as far as i know there are some 8 or 10mm bolts at the base of the seat, where the seat back meets the floor, then it should be a matter of pushing the seat back then lift it up, thats as much as i know for the one when i did mine that was an XC fairmont
Old 10-25-2004, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Expanding on Rons:

To remove the bottom section of the rear seat you need to:

Push hard back and lift. As there is hooks you need to unclip.

To remove the back of the back seat:

Undo the 10mm bolts and lift it up unhooking it from it's hooks.

It's an absolute bastard to remove the bottom section. It's even worse refitting the top section with an aftermarket shelf. I fitted 3/4" chippies board as my shelf. I had loads of fun putting the seat back in. I think it took me about 2-3 hours.

Brenden
Old 10-25-2004, 04:06   #4 (permalink)

yeah you have to get the bottom seat out then unbolt the top seat with the screws down the bottom then it should lift up and out from memory. The shelf should pretty much pull out of position once the seats are out.

Not sure where you are from but I am from Brisbane and got my shelf brand new from mustang auto parts for like $36 or something and it is an exact copy of the factory one and slipped straight in no problems - Mark
V8_GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:37   #5 (permalink)
Da Da Dadada HEY dadadada

From memory, bottom of back seat, reach into the middle of the bottom and back and pull the bottom of the seat up then it comes out easily, putting it back in is a bitch tho.
The back, mine was probably stuffed as i could just pull the top forward, most seats have two bolts at the bottom and then you lift the whole thing up off the hooks and pull it forward, goodluck
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:41   #6 (permalink)
Woz
Breathe in that speed!

Thanks all, I got it out. Now I just have to find somewhere that will sell me a decent parcel shelf to fit back in. Wreckers are useless and most places don't hold items to fit the later models. Any ideas? Or would I be better to just make one up myself? I just worry about getting it to fit back in, that's all.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:42   #7 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

i made mine out of MDF about 12mm thick if my memory is correct, covered it in black material stuff and no problems since got my 6X9's and amp bolted to it, its all good
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU