Ford Forums banner

Peculiar XD odometer behaviour

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  g_nz 
#1 ·
G'day
I've began to notice of late, as the weather's got considerably colder, that when I get in my XD on a cold morning, the odometer won't turn until the car's up to temperature. I was wondering if anyone's ever come across this problem before and what it could be before I go tinkering with stuff.

Thanks

#3 ·
In my experience, there is a small nylon gear for the oddometer and this tends to fracture and will eventually loose teeth or simply fall apart. I have found it cheaper to replace the speedo (inspect the new one before purchase), than have a new part made.
nassi :beerbottl

#4 ·
definately get a new speedo rather than getting it repaired. i had the problem , gear broke, took it to get it reparied expecting it to cost 30 buks (its a piece of plastic the size of your thumb nail) got a call to say it was done and it was going to cost $120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bloody rediculous.

#5 ·
Yeh Sounds like they weren't designed to go past 400,000kms
Mine stopped working at 380,000kms but everything else on the speedo etc still works.
Pulled it off the other day and sure enough , the wee cog in the back has all the teeth worn off it.
Oh well, Replacing the whole thing these days definatley cheaper then replacing the cog itself.
Cheers, G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.