Pioneer headset and AU steering wheel controls - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Pioneer headset and AU steering wheel controls

Hi,

I am thinking of getting rid of the standard ford heaset and buying a mates pioneer one. Is there any chance of this working with the steering wheel controls?

Failing that does anyone have a list of compatible manufacturers that will work with it?

Thanks
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 17:15   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

There was a thread a while ago on this. Do a search.... It listed the compatible manufacturers from memory....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 23:23   #3 (permalink)
EXPERIENCED XR8 FANATIC

hi thebow i currently have a pioneer head unit in my au xr8 but i have yet to find a way to incorporate the steering wheel controls. the only head units that i know of that are compatible are the alpine head units.but you have to buy a converter to make it work.i think the converters were about $60 - $80 bucks my local audio shop advised me about this..

5 speed xr8 ,silouette in colour,17in tickford 5 spokes , momo steering wheel and momo gear knob. twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust with race magnum mufflers. custom stereo system.
DXR88U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 04:42   #4 (permalink)

I asked about this a while ago and got no where with it. There was a rumour that Alpine stuff would interface, but I couldn't find anyone who could sell me any sort of adaptor. I gave up.
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:02   #5 (permalink)

VDO DAYTON is another brand. Stage Co. at Penrith can do it
Old 07-26-2002, 19:53   #6 (permalink)
EXPERIENCED XR8 FANATIC

you can buy the adapters for the alpine and jvchead units from www.cartoys.com.au they are only $49.00

5 speed xr8 ,silouette in colour,17in tickford 5 spokes , momo steering wheel and momo gear knob. twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust with race magnum mufflers. custom stereo system.
DXR88U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 00:47   #7 (permalink)

I got an email from Car Toys (November 2001) that said "our adapter is no good for a changer.
Regards
CAR TOYS"

:sad: :sad: :sad:
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:46   #8 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

Stereo

Now.... There is definately a way to incorperate the AU buttons into a different head unit, however, restrictions will apply.

For instance, the AU buttons have volume up / down, and Search, therefore, you will get v up and down, and one other feature.

Go to a reputable car audio joint, and talk to them. I live in SE melbourne and there a joint down the street from me who will do it for $50. Now that is abou the best you will get. I've heard of some people even going "X head unit, X Remote on wheel" "Y CD stacker, Ford buttons for disc up / down, search for random", or as extreme as for a 2nd DIN EQ unit, "Up / down = + / -, search = select EQ band"

Just get out there and phone around. Depending on how old the head is, it shouldn't be a prob. My brother has an old (1998?) JVC, but they said that couldn't be done. Im not sure if the was an age or brand related thing.

Still, what harm can phoning around do!!!!

Personally, i would get a matching r/c, or even consider bying a new head, Depending on what u want, (a 40x4 Blaupunkt will set u back around $400) You probably stand a better chance of getting the new head, and using the existing buttons for something else (Stacker, EQ etc.)

Hope thatt helps Mate, Where exactly are you, i might be able to help a bit. Also, if u can get the model number of ur head, it'll make the car audio joints job alot easier.

take it easy

Chris
TOX|C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 20:23   #9 (permalink)

if you go to a car audio place that knows what its doing, they can do it for just about any brand !

EA Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Stero, Momo GT S/Wheel, 16" EL XR Rims, Zorst

EBII Fairmont Ghia, V8, Leather, Lowered, Rims, CAI,
Momo GT S/Wheel, Stezza, Tints, Zorst

EA Falcon S, 5Spd, LSD, EL Motor, Zorst

VXII Commodore SS, 5.7L, 6Ssp, Leather, Sunroof Zorst, Edit, CAI

VH Commodore SL/E, Stock except Stezza

KA Laser, Ghia interior, Stock shitter
EVIL EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU