Power window stuck in EB Fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 00:45   #1 (permalink)

Power window stuck in EB Fairmont

My power window is stuckhalf way down and I cant lock the car.
I have ordered a new switch but how can I short the circuit out to raise the window until I receive it???????
HHHEEELLLPPPP
winter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 03:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Power window stuck in EB Fairmont

But before you answer...I have already cleaned the terminals, I cannot turn the switch around (it is part of a four switch bank) and cannot think of anything else to do. It's driving me nuts and sooner or later someone is going to get into my car when it is parked at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
winter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 23:59   #3 (permalink)
ned
Freedom Drifterâ„¢

i had same problem, my rear windows wood go down but not up! even if i lock my car, the windows are still down lol, i just got a 12V supply and stuck it directly to the motor in reverse position and the window is closed now, i disconnected both back windows, until i found out wats wrong with them. i already know its not the switch coz i have cleaned terminals and everything also. does anyone know wat it mite be?

Latest Mod: 3.27 LSD!
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:41   #4 (permalink)

I just fixed my brother-in-laws power windows on his EB XR8. It turns out he had a dry solder joint on his power window switch(if you take the switch panel out and look underneath you'll see the circuit board). All I did was to heat the existing solder up with the soldering iron, add a little more, and it works perfectly. Better than the $280 that he was quoted! It's worth having a quick look before handing out the money....
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:48   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Shano6 beat me to it but yes it's usually either a detached wire or dry joint under the switch.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:15   #6 (permalink)

Hey, exactly the same fault in my ED a fortnight back! And it was dry solder joints. A bit of extra advice......the driver's window gets the most use, hence the most arcing at the switch. This blackens the contacts, they go high resistance and heat up when current is applied via the switch. End result, heats the solder and weakens it - gets steadily worse until the joints fail. Interestingly, the joints will still check out ok with a multimeter check, but break down under current load from the window motor.

So make sure you dismantle the top of the switch (easy to do) and clean up the contacts, as well as re-work the joints. I recommend getting some solder-wick (available at electronics stores like Dick Smith or Jaycar) and using this with your iron to remove all the old solder prior to re-soldering the joint. Only use enough heat to do the job or you may damage the board.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU