Ford Forums banner

power windows again

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Thanatos 
G
#1 ·
i've got an early (3/8:cool: Fairmont Ghia with window problems, the windows make clicking noises and get stuck at the bottom and half way up. I noticed a couple of people talking about removing rivets. I had a look at mine today and the regulator looks to me like its bolted to the motor with about 3 bolts, and the motor is bolted to the inside of the door. What gives? Do I have something different to everyone else? Are these ones hard to change?

#2 ·
That'd be the same kind that I have. I simply took it to a professional. The front window/regulator is possibly a single unit, because I had to have both mine replaced. But the rear windows seem to be a different story.

G
#3 ·
Power Windows Fix

EA (and onwards) power windows usually fail due to a small soft-metal gear stripping off the motor spline. U can pay Ford big $$ to replace the entire unit, or, go to PRESLITE (in coburg, Melbourne) and buy the new gear for about $15 each. You just need a vice and some sort of tube to press-fit the new gear onto the motor spline.
Take the back cover off the motor gearbox to hold the other end of the motor shaft solidly. It's a fiddly job getting the power-window mechanism out of the door, but!! If there are rivets, drill them out and replace them with 6mm bolts not longer than 15mm or you'll have clearance problems. If there are bolts already there, someone has done a previous replacement. If you can get hold of a pop-rivet gun of 6mm size, even better.

G
#4 ·
power windows failing

my windows did the exact same thing, they went downthe whole way but would only comeback up half way. I had to take it to ford to fix and it cost $300 per window. Something about the regulator had gone.Good luck with yours.

#6 ·
Ive got a similar problem with both my fronts... they wont work at all.. stuck closed. Would this be a pinion problem?... how do you get the reg/motor units in and out?

#7 ·
Power Windows

To save time and trouble just go to a wreckers. The power window regulator is a two piece assembly. The regulator and motor. When my back left went just got a new regulator for $35 and the guy put it in for $10. And it still goes fine 6 months later. But your front windows are used more so its a cheaper option. When i first gor the car had the front right window motor/regulator put in profesionally and it cost $275. That was the cheapest of 6 quotes, the most expensive was $395. What a rip of. So shop around first but i suggest wreckers first. People just like to be C-NTS and charge you the most.

#8 ·
For the sake of comparison, my auto-electrician sourced a 'reconditioned' front power window motor and regulator unit (with 6 month warranty) for $80 plus about $30 installation. I think as part of the deal I gave them my old one.

G
#9 ·
hi guys,
about 2 yrs ago i changed all the motors on my electric windows.
I now have the problem that the back drivers side window doesnt do anything at all, just stays shut. I have pulled out the switches and was wondering if anyone knows how to test the switches to see if there working fine.

....Stoj

#11 ·
Stoj34, I had the same problem with the same window. The rear window switch which is on the door had a loose connection, luckily I could still open/close it with the front switch (on Console).

Check the switches and connections first. My front passangers side window kept playing up. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I took the switch panel out of the console and found that one of the solderings had let go. I resoldered the switch terminals properly and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Also check the wiring to the window motor it may be loose.

#12 ·
I have had a problem with window going done and not up. I pulled the cover off the switch box in the console, removed the switches and gave it a good clean and it worked again. Has been going for a couple of months now.

To test if it is the switch, run a cable from the battery and you can try and 'hotwire' it.

#14 ·
Well ive tested all my switches and wiring and they are fine. Can any recommend a place to get reco'd regulator/motors in Sydney???

#15 ·
Mine purchased by my auto electrician from Ford Auto Salvage; 121 Westall Road, Clayton, Vic, 3168. Maybe get it shipped over by them as a last resort.

#16 ·
Windows

My next car is isnt going to have power windows, climate control, or a bloody trip computer. Today my trip computer shit itself. Pulled it out with a great deal of yelling, abusing and swearing and found that the speaker module has fried so ive temprrarly re soldered it so at least the clock works . Have to buy one from the wreckers now. What will i be looking at you think. Bloody electronics. Your just asking for trouble in my books. Have learnt my lesson.

#17 ·
Sorry to hear it EA90. Someone was recently selling trip computers on the For Sale section for around $100 brand new.

I agree that it requires a lot of commitment to ensure that all electrics, etc are working A1. Some people, unlike me, would prefer to not bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.