Power windows + EL Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2002, 15:42   #1 (permalink)
atomitron

Power windows + EL Falcon

Yo yo...

Just wondering if anyone knows where abouts I could get some power windows installed in sydney and a roundabout proice...just the two fronts on a 1998 falcon Gli.

My arm is getting sore winding them down to abuse people in traffic (jokes lol).

=D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2002, 18:30   #2 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

you can install them yourself.

orig ford ones are about $70ea (depending on where you go or who u know)

doing it yourself is very easy :)
Old 05-26-2002, 18:58   #3 (permalink)
Dreamer

fusion you must know the whole damn ford spare part centre intimately for $70 ea!!!

i bought a 2nh hand setup for $80, as for wanted $250 or there abouts.

wreckers have them for about $130+

i just got lucky when they quoted wrong price over phone, then we went to pay for it, and they had done all the word to remove it from the wrecked fairlane out back, they just didnt care no more, and sold it at the price they quoted. should of been $150 from that place, hehe
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 18:59   #4 (permalink)
atomitron

windowidge

thanks for the reply dude...much appreciated..

Im not sure where i should go cos I dont really know anyone.

I just got my ford so they new to me...

Any suggestions would be great thanks dude =)

Cheers.
Old 05-26-2002, 20:21   #5 (permalink)

Just some things you will need to remember when fitting Power windows yourself

1) You will have a hole in the Door trims when you fit the power winders (No Biggie, U can get Fairmont Door trims or something).
2) You will need the Power window switch box thingie in the center console
3) You will need to run 2 High Power Cables (Stuff that can handle around 20 Amps) in to the Front Doors, and 3 High Power Cables for the Back Doors (Due to the Power Window Switch)

The Power Required for the Center console swithc box will need to be around 40 Amps, (Ford uses a Circuit breaker, just incase the motors surge more current).

The winders Basically bolt straight in to where the existing Manual winder sits, but you will need to drill out 3 Pop Rivets, (Heavy duty mothers) to remove the existing winder).

As for Fusion getting cheap parts, Yeah I dunno what his secret is, but from now on, hes is buying my Ford Parts for me, as I paid $200 For 1 Genuine Winder). The Price he got his rear window for, including fitting was a real eye opener, and the funny thing was I was there !
I dunno, maybe the guy selling the stuff was Gay, and took a fancy to him ?!?!?!?!
Hehehehe, Just joking Fusion !

P.S. Its a long job if you want to do it yourself, you will need at least a whole weekend to do all four doors, but It is not impossible, and shouldnt really cost you more than $600 for all four doors.
Front doors may be easier though, as the Console switch box, is much more common, as well as the Front Door Trims, as I believe that some Futuras, and XR models had Front Power Windows.

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Yup - my EL futura has power windows standard - pretty sure it's the same with the EF's too ? I want to do my rears one day - one place quoted me $600 to do the whole lot, which is obviously a bit rich, but I guess it's the labour 'eh =[ I was going to try and tackle it myself, but my biggest concern is getting the rear door trims from a Fairmont - anyone know where I could source new / used trims ?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-26-2002, 20:37   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, the door trim thang is a real problem.

What some ppl dont realise is that the Fairlane and LTD trims also fit with no real changes.

Unfortunately Fairmont/Ghia trims get taken the day they land at the wreckers. (Fusion was a lucky SOB !
He got the WHOLE Fairlane Interior for an absolute song !
(Dash, Climate Control, Trip Computer, Complete Doors, Seats, Carpets, Plastic Bits, ETC, ETC.
Damm his car looks good inside !)

Cheers
Matti
Old 05-27-2002, 15:47   #8 (permalink)
atomitron

eek power windows

Wow, sounds like a fair bit of work.

Would you guys know of any other alternatives? Say a non ford power window kit? Would they be fitted as easily or not?
As usually genuine parts take a big chunk out or your pocket....and second hand / wrecked parts can sometimes be a bit dodgy...
Old 05-27-2002, 19:07   #9 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

give me some money and ill do it .. chrisT! lol

Old 05-28-2002, 20:05   #10 (permalink)

Ive seen an aftermarket one fitted to a Bitsofmishi Magna, and a EB Falcon, and the bisto one worked OK, but the switch gear looked like it was taken out of a Kingswood, and the door trims would flex a little whenever the window was wound up !
Also the things were very slow to work. (Not very powerful).

I guess if your going to spend a couple of days on the labour, then its probably worthwhile getting the genuine stuff, so as at least you are sure taht its going to fit properly, and work (If new parts) well.
Otherwise, I wouldnt bother (The Labour in terms of dollars you could earn if working at a paid job, instead of stuffing around with the power windows is much more than the cost of the power windows - If U get my reasoning)

Cheers
Matti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU