Ford Forums banner

Problem with EL Trip computer

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  V8 Ghia Mike 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting here. My problem is regarding the installation of a trip computer and instrument cluster from an Ef Fairmont into an EL Futura.
I installed the trip computer a few days ago, and it has been working great.
Then today I installed the instrument cluster, and all works ok, except the dimming of the LCD in the trip computer and the odometer when the lights are put on.
What could this be?
I put the original cluster back in, and the dimming works on the odometer, but not the trip computer. This just stays bright.
I checked for continuity across all lines, and I have found the blue red, and brown wires have continuity accross them when off. Would this short be a problem?

All help will be much appreciated.
Also, I haven't put in the oil sensor switch yet, and I have done the odometer reading change, which seems to have worked. Don't know if this means anything.
Thanks,
Russell.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Russell, I just installed a T/C in my EL and Im having the same problem as you. Does the T/C LCD black out with lights on only when car is started and running. Brown wire is to activate the T/Cs illumination for the 3 buttons and the T/Cs fuctions readouts.
The red/blue is for the dimmer.I have tapped into the demistor button wires to light the unit up.If I have any success I will let you know.The only thing I can think of is a loose connection some where.
Cheers
Stephen

#11 ·
Welcome to the Forums Russell! I've only been around for a few months but can't get by without my daily fix!

'Internal fault' eh? Those trip computers are basically a complete electronic module and would be tricky to fix by the local Ford dealer service dept. Me thinks it may have been a loose connection and they bumped the price up by making it sound like a complicated repair.

Then again, it's probably my mistrust of someone else servicing my car. After rebuilding my 5.0 which died from a lack of oil changes (full Ford service history....) I get paranoid if I don't do the work myself! (off soapbox)

Again, welcome.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.