Ford Forums banner

Removing instrument cluster - how to?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Freak 
#1 ·
My XF odometer has died and i need to get to it to see what's goin on. Any tips?

Cheers,

Muff.

#2 ·
muffin said:
My XF odometer has died and i need to get to it to see what's goin on. Any tips?

Cheers,

Muff.
Just confirm your speedo is OK though?

If its the speedo too, it could also be either the speedo sender in the gearbox or the small cog on the end which drives it. Can get under the car and undo the small retaining bolt. It will then pull out.

Do this first as its much easier that pullin the dash. If your speedo works, then it will most likely be one of the small drive teeth in the odometer.

#4 ·
here's a pic, look at it and read my instructions, i know it's rough but you will get the idea when you see it.

The red arrows point to the 4 screws that hold the cluster surround on (the surround is the bit with the headlight, hazard, interior, demister switches on it).

2 are directly underneath the switches on the surround, and the other two are on top of the dash hidden under some plastic tabs. Just pry the tabs up and you'll see them. Your surround should now lift straight off and you'll be able to get to the cluster. There are just 4 more screws holding that in and they are easy to spot. To get the surround of completely, you may also need to take the switches off the surround. switch eah switch on and there is a screw behind them, unscrew and they will come out. Just remember to disconnect the plugs for them.

You may need to take of the bit of plastic that covers the handbrake and has the switch panel on it.

The blue arrows point roughly to where the screws for this one are kept, but these aren't ordinary screws. They are large plastic looking screws, simply turn the slowly either way until it feels like they are loose. It's hard to explain these but you know what I mean when you get one out. There are 4 of these in total.

The green higlighted bit on the right picture is where the connector plug is for the cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.