Seat Rail Modification - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2003, 23:12   #1 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Seat Rail Modification

Im putting some new seats in my car and allas the rails on the new seats dont match up with my current holes in the floor pan.

Ive taken some photos and had a trial fit of the new seat with a bracket designed to make the rails fit the floor pan. Being concencious of laws and insurance, this would be in breach of both of them.

Here are two photos of the seat rails (the one sitting on top is off my current seats). Note the different bracket on the back of the rail.

My question, would it be ok to get the bracket transfered from my old seat rail onto the new seat rail, ie grinded off and seam welded onto the new rail?

btw its EF XR8 seats into an EA.

Cheers

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2003, 05:28   #2 (permalink)

It'd be alright if you have an engineers certificate for it. Then you have the problem of explaining to an insurance company who probably wont be sympathetic that your car is modified hence the engineers certificate.
Regds,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:19   #3 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Seat runners

Ok...first rule is...check to see if the runner can detach from the seats. If this is possible by unscrewing some screws then you can attach them to your original runners and into your original holes with 2 pieces of metal available from any auto store. Diagram below. Just measure the distance between the bolt holes in the new seats, mark the distance on the adapter bars the space the bars out according to the distance on the new seats. Bolt the bars down to the runners, the drill the new holes into the runners to suit the new seats. With this followed you can use your old runners and original holes and wont have any trouble re-registering your car. I did this in both my XF and EB.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 06-16-2003, 05:35   #4 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

problem is the EF seats have a completly diffrent rail structure to that of the EA and after talking to an auto trimmer, the way i propose to go about it is to grind the lower bracket of the EA rail off and weld it to the EF rail.

Im going to take the car through the RTA first to assess wether this modification would be legal.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU