Ford Forums banner

Second battery - how hard?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Walkinshaw 
#1 ·
Well, my battery is slowly dying - Rather than just replace it, I was thinking it would be cool to install a second battery, perhaps in the boot..

Is this hard to achieve? Can I get pre-made mounting brackets that bolt into the boot, then bolt the battery down? Is the main cost in buying the second battery, or will I have to spend a fair bit in battery-mounting stuff?

Also, will it matter that I have an on-the-way-out battery as well as a nice new battery hooked up together?

#2 ·
The most expensive part will be the battery, you can buy battery brackets and base plates from Repco for about $20 for both, but you'll also need a solenoid, so that the car only cranks on 1 battery instead of using both. I don't know how much a solenoid is though, speak to an auto-lec, they'll give you a better idea on what's needed and how much it will cost.

#3 ·
Speak to Alex or Rmyers :p
They're obsessed with it!

#4 ·
Has anyone who has done this mod got pics?? My imagination is poor but I have to do it soon.

One thing I will say, the safest way is apparently to run professional battery cabling (not car audio stuff) UNDER the car. Ventilation isn't a problem due to the plugs, but does the battery actually clear for height? Lots of questions for sure, because I'll have to do this mod within a few weeks...

#5 ·
Rmyers just did some installing of his the other day so he could get some pics easily enough i imagine

#6 ·
Troutman said:
One thing I will say, the safest way is apparently to run professional battery cabling (not car audio stuff) UNDER the car.
AFAIK Copper is Copper, wether its BOC, Stinger, Street Wires or anyone else.

Under the car is a good idea, Surrounded in hard condute and grommeted and shiethd propely it will be all good. Ive got 1 (mabey 2 very soon) runs of Stinger HPM 0AWG from battery to the boot and im looking into running a Yellow Top in the boot. So pics of others setups would be cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.