Standard dash to s pak dash - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2004, 00:49   #1 (permalink)

Standard dash to s pak dash

Ive just install an s pak dash in my ea wagon cpi, but the tacho doesnt work and the oil pressure guage is flat out and the water light stays on, basically i just swapped the standard dash so i could have a tacho on my manual, the plug on the back is exactly the same, does anyone know what els i have to do to get the rest of the stuff to work, the speedo temperature, voltage and everything else seems to work fine.

Any help would be great thanks in advance.

My next project is going to be converting this from a six to a 383 stroker but this is a little while in the future as I am currently having the 351 converted bit by bit and I want to put fuel injected heads on it. :)
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2004, 19:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Standard dash to s pak dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec
Ive just install an s pak dash in my ea wagon cpi, but the tacho doesnt work and the oil pressure guage is flat out and the water light stays on, basically i just swapped the standard dash so i could have a tacho on my manual, the plug on the back is exactly the same, does anyone know what els i have to do to get the rest of the stuff to work, the speedo temperature, voltage and everything else seems to work fine.

Any help would be great thanks in advance.

My next project is going to be converting this from a six to a 383 stroker but this is a little while in the future as I am currently having the 351 converted bit by bit and I want to put fuel injected heads on it. :)
Oil Pressure Gauge..
You need to change the oil pressure light switch to a gauge reading assembly. You'll find the switch under the inlet manifold near the distributor. Just swap them over and reconnect the wire.

Tacho and water light..
Two wires need to be added to the blank terminals at the bottom of the large cluster connector (These are pins 8 and 9)

The tacho needs an impulse wire added to pin 8 on the large connector at the rear of the cluster (pin 8 is the outer lower connection)
The easiest tacho pick up point is the pink tacho test wire near the brake booster (It has a bullet connector on it)

The water light..
It's the low level warning light that's staying on. you probably don't have a low level sensor on the fill bottle..
Two options..
1.. Add a low level sensor to the coolant fill bottle. Wire one side of the sensor to Pin 9 on the large cluster connection (bottom inside pin). Wire the other side of the low level switch to battery earth.
2.. Take the globe out of the cluster.
Option 1 is best as you'll have added a low level coolant warning system.

The wiring pins to fit in the loom connector on the back of the cluster are part number AMP170291
If you have a 4 speed auto trans, check that you still have the power light indicator as one of the indicator lights.
---------------------------------
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 20:49   #3 (permalink)

Thanks heaps for that info, its is really informative and easy to follow. Damn motor just snapped both engine mounts last night hehehe, have to fix that now.

Thanks again
Old 08-07-2004, 20:50   #4 (permalink)

Oh yeah its a 5 speed manual too
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU