Ford Forums banner

steering wheel???

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lukeyn039 
#1 ·
Ok i have the cruise control on the steering wheel, but i want to change the wheel, i have the leather wrapped one. I want to get a sportyer wheel, could i relocate the switches to some where else???? anyone else with a ghia thought of this???

#2 ·
Yep

If it wasn't a fairmont you could mount the switches on around a 45 degree angle where the trip computer goes but yours is a fairmont so you could put the switches either side of the shifter plate or find some way of attaching them to your steering colum shroud.You don't need them to close to turn it off because the brake pedal does that for you.Some of the aftermarket systems are mounted on the centre of the dash.

Goodluck Lukey.

#3 ·
Re: Yep

Lukey, if it wasn't a Fairmont it wouldn't have cruise control in the first place :) ...Sweet irony..

I have been in a similar quandary myself. I am under the impression that the EB GT wheels are no longer available new, and used they would probably cost the earth because they are in such massive demand.

One possible idea is buying any old aftermarket steering wheel and trying to locate those buttons that some cars have (possibly the newer EF Fairmonts) that sit between spokes beyind the wheel. The buttons would have to be exactly the same as the standard 4 button set-up to work efficiently (no 'acc' function or anything ideally).

G
#4 ·
Re: Yep

slow down dudes... (lol), I'm having problems thinking of how you would be able to wire new switches up in the first place, where ever you want to put the switches, your going to have to immitate the extact wiring up the steering collumn, because the cc uses resistance switching to turn on/off etc... If you just run some wires, and scew up the resistance along the line, then the cc would go haywire?... Not a good thing. ;) Might be worth looking into the Gregories guide, to assess how much wiring is involved... :)

#5 ·
Ok but

That's correct but it hasn't stopped me in the past from installing a cruise kit into a non cruise car.What I was advising was when an aftermarket system is installed the buttons are not on the steering wheel so they have to be located else where.This has also been done with the installation of a cruise kit out of a wrecked fairmont into a GL,a bit of a pain.The wiring is simple but needs a diagram and alot of interference wiring as you know with the trip computer dramas everyone has had other wires are inposed to make it work.

The wiring for the crusie uses simple sliding contact that runs parrallel to the horn wiring.In the later model cars they use a clock spring.

I have thought of putting the cruise buttons on the side of the steering wheel like the EF's onwards but its hard to get a button that will fit neatly againist the curve of the wheel.If you use EF type it would work if you use a similar steering wheel with the dirty great circle in the middle, the curve of the buttons will fit neatly againist the wheel but smaller diameter looks shit house.

CYA Lukey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.